A Bioinformatician position is available in the Shilatifard laboratory in the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Genetics at Northwestern University. Bioinformaticians in the laboratory will support current Next Generation Sequencing projects including ChIP-seq, RNA-seq and PRO-seq data. The successful candidate will have a background in bioinformatics, biostatistics or computational biology. This position requires proficiency in R, Python or Perl. The laboratory is located at the downtown Chicago campus in the vibrant Streeterville neighborhood along the shore of Lake Michigan.
Partners with clients to design, develop, implement and maintain business solutions regarding data management and analysis. This includes database administration, data consolidation, data analysis and management reporting. Utilizes software to generate metrics and develops actionable recommendations. Collaborates with various function teams such as marketing, research, and IT to achieve business results.
* Manages and plans for data/analysis requests and projects. * Provides consultation to customers on appropriate data management, methodological issues and statistical analyses. * Collaborates with technical staff explaining needs of functional users. Serve on committees related to data structure and governance.
* Reviews reports before presentation to ensure quality and accuracy. * Defines, develops and communicates new standards and best practices. * Prepare manuscripts on related data analysis. * Management of the related data produced at the Core Facility.
* Determines data structure for local datasets. * Support current Next Generation Sequencing projects with datasets including ChIP-seq, Total RNA-seq, Nascent RNA-seq, and GRO-seq.
Performs other duties as assigned.
* Successful completion of a full 4-year course of study in an accredited college or university leading to a bachelor's or higher degree; OR appropriate combination of education and experience. * 4 years data analysis/report writing or similar experience required. * Please see information highlighted below: * Infrastructure (extends across applications): Linux Operating System. * Programming Languages and Frameworks: Perl, Python, Shell Scripting, R. * Analytical: Critical thinking, debugging, problem solving, troubleshooting. * Project: Code documentation, collaboration and teamwork, facilitate collaboration, organizational skills.
Minimum Competencies: (Skills, knowledge, and abilities.)
* Demonstrated ability to learn about new technologies. * Demonstrated ability in working with commercial software. * Outstanding interpersonal skills and ability to work with individuals and groups. * Ability to multitask, work and learn independently, and be self-motivated. * A record of taking the initiative to solve problems and working to high-quality standards.
Preferred Qualifications: (Education and experience)
* PhD or Master's degree in Bioinformatics, Biostatistics or Computer Science with biology background. * Proficient in Unix, with experience R, Python or Perl. * Background in statistics is preferred. * Willingness and capability to share knowledge with other members of the team.
Preferred Competencies: (Skills, knowledge, and abilities)
* Record of taking the initiative to solve problems and working with high standards. * Outstanding interpersonal skills. * Familiarity with software versioning tools.
Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer of all protected classes, including veterans and individuals with disabilities. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply. Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to work in the United States.
Let your dream job find you.
Sign up to start matching with top companies. It’s fast and free.