The Role: Automation Associate - Python Programmer
Grade (relevant for internal applicants only): 9
The Location: Denver, CO
The Team: The Automation Associate I in the Data Operations & Engineering group works to collect and manage market fundamental datasets related to the energy industry through a variety of processes that combine analytical and technical skills.
The Impact: This role is responsible for the data collection, content verification, quality control and relevant analysis to support Platts content and products. Industry knowledge, combined with analytical acumen, is applied to independently identify and resolve data integrity issues on a daily basis.
* Accountable for ensuring timely and accurate collection and databased storage. This includes hands on coding, ensuring data collected is proofed to source, handling daily exceptions (changes to source data, process errors, verifying suspect data), applying industry best practices, and tracking to operational metrics.
* Accountable for analyzing new assignments, developing scripts and tests to validate data, handling change requests and providing quick and efficient solutions to data sourcing issues.
* Responsible for creating requirements, metadata, backup procedures, and process documentation, and overall management of dataset addition process.
* Works with technology, Quantitative, and Editorial teams to ensure that content is delivered on-time, regardless of system issues, and that the format and structure supports the business need.
* Is responsible for following up on exceptions and outliers associated with specific datasets. This may include via industry contacts, 3rd party verification, additional research, and modeling or related analyses.
* Maintains ongoing metrics on data quality, time management, and cost monitoring associated to be used across all Information Intelligence Services group.
* Completes one-time data pulls from database as requested
* Writes data queries for internal use as required
* Reads industry publications and performs own research to create innovative solution to improve productivity and scalability
What We're Looking For:
* Bachelor's degree in Information Technology, Computer Information Systems, Computer Engineering, Computer Science or other technical discipline
* Python or IronPython development experience or experience creating scripts for automated data collecting
* Demonstrated experience in working with users to test, debug and document systems
* Experience with relational database: preferably SQL Server 2008R2 or 2012
* Experience in working with large datasets
* Experience working in an Agile environment
* Complex problem-solving aptitude
* MS Office 2010 or 2016, Outlook and Excel
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills
* Enthusiastic/self-motivated with ability to work under pressure either independently or in a team environment
* Ability to use organizational/time management skills to prioritize workload
* Experience with data warehousing architecture and concepts
* Experience with Oracle database/SQL/PostGreSQL
* Expertise in the energy industry
* Flexible approach to cover colleagues' work when needed
* Perl scripting experience
* iMacros, Selenium, Git
At S&P Global Platts, we provide the insights; you make better informed trading and business decisions with confidence. We're the leading independent provider of information and benchmark prices for the commodities and energy markets. Customers in over 150 countries look to our expertise in news, pricing and analytics to deliver greater transparency and efficiency to markets. S&P Global Platts coverage includes oil and gas, power, petrochemicals, metals, agriculture and shipping.
S&P Global Platts is a division of S&P Global (NYSE: SPGI), which provides essential intelligence for individuals, companies and governments to make decisions with confidence. For more information, visit www.platts.com.
S&P Global is an equal opportunity employer committed to making all employment decisions without regard to race/ethnicity, gender, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, color, creed, religion, national origin, age, disability, marital status (including domestic partnerships and civil unions), sexual orientation, military veteran status, unemployment status, or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Only electronic job submissions will be considered for employment.
If you need an accommodation during the application process due to a disability, please send an email to: