Every day, journalists at The New York Times report more than 200 stories from dozens of countries around the world on topics ranging from major international events to the best way to roast a chicken. Those stories are read, listened to, and watched by more than 100 million digital readers each month across our web and mobile products.
All engineers at The New York Times take great pride in building products that live up to the quality and reputation of our journalism. We are looking for backend engineers on a variety of teams to join our organization in impactful, hands-on roles. We value transparency and openness, diversity, learning, community, and continuous improvement. Check out some of our Times Open blog posts, written by engineers and other technical team members: on working remotely, on developing your career, and working with next gen technology. Follow us @nytdevs on Twitter to see what we're up to and come be a part of the digital revolution of a 168-year-old institution with a "mission worth believing in."
* Contribute to technical discussions to gather requirements and develop product features or solutions while maintaining standard methodologies
* Research and document proposed solutions
* Build, maintain, and debug server-side applications and tooling
* Write unit and integration tests
* Develop processes for automating, testing, and deploying your work
* Collaborate with Project Management and Product Management and other professionals within your team and across the organization
* Contribute to our mission of reaching 10+ million paid subscriptions by 2025
For this role, you should:
* Have empathy for existing solutions and issues
* Have pride in your work
* Be able to work in a collegial environment with peers from diverse backgrounds and skills
* Be a committed bug hunter
* Enjoy commenting your code
You should apply if you:
* Have programming and syntax knowledge in Go, Python, Java (7+), Scala, or other similar backend programming languages
* Understand data modeling in both SQL based and NoSQL database systems
* Understand version control using Git and Github.com
And you have experience or interest in learning:
* System design and architecture, with an emphasis on building for scale
* Public cloud platform services: Amazon Web Services (AWS) or Google Cloud Platform (GCP).
* Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery techniques and tooling
* Multi-tier application architecture & concepts of networking, load balancing, monitoring and *nix OS
Some of the teams hiring are:
Data Ad Products
The team of software engineers responsible for managing the data platform, microservices, and internal tools and web apps for the advertising business.
The ideal browser-based interface for ensuring creative collaboration in reporting, conceiving, editing and publishing content of the future doesn't yet exist. We're making it, and we're looking for people to join us.
Join the team that builds developer tools to empower engineering teams to deliver applications faster
The Subscription Platform Group works on our e-commerce platforms, anything related to subscriptions, billing and payments for our digital and home delivery subscribers.
Enrich people's lives by making them better, more confident cooks.
Team is focused on making The Times an indispensable destination for curious readers by showcasing our journalistic judgment and creativity in an easily navigable experience.
Content Delivery API (GraphQL)The Content Delivery API is the primary data source for NYTimes user-facing applications. It is designed and expected to handle bursts exceeding 10,000+ requests per second during breaking news events and also keep up with the general site traffic generated from the website, iOS, and Android apps.
Benefits and Perks:
* Make an impact by supporting our original, independent and deeply reported journalism.
* We provide competitive health, dental, vision and life insurance for employees and their families
* We support responsible retirement planning with a generous 401(k) company match.
* We offer a competitive parental leave.
* We are committed to career development and ongoing learning supported by a formal mentoring program as well as $8,000 annually for tuition reimbursement.
* We have frequent panel discussions and talks by a wide variety of newsmakers and industry leaders.
* Join a community committed to the richness of diversity, experiences and talents in the world we cover, supported by a variety of employee resource groups.
The New York Times is committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce, one that reflects the varied global community we serve. Our journalism and the products we build in the service of that journalism greatly benefit from a range of perspectives, which can only come from diversity of all types, across our ranks, at all levels of the organization. Achieving true diversity and inclusion is the right thing to do. It is also the smart thing for our business. So we strongly encourage women, veterans, people with disabilities, people of color and gender nonconforming candidates to apply.
The New York Times Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of an individual's sex, age, race, color, creed, national origin, alienage, religion, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation or affectional preference, gender identity and expression, disability, genetic trait or predisposition, carrier status, citizenship, veteran or military status and other personal characteristics protected by law. All applications will receive consideration for employment without regard to legally protected characteristics.