We are looking for a full time Android Engineer to join our highly collaborative, friendly and agile team that builds user-facing products with an impact.
Our ideal candidate is passionate about Android, enjoys creatively solving technical challenges, and is curious about technology inside and outside the Android platform. You should care deeply about Android app performance, quality and responsiveness.
Candidates must be comfortable with Java, Kotlin, and object-oriented programming, as well as standard Android development tools such as IntelliJ or Android Studio.
What you will do:
* Design, develop and test new features by updating existing code, as well as from the ground up
* Participate in code reviews
* Write unit tests, and work with QA to ensure functional automated tests can be written
* Work closely with our Project Manager, Product Manager and other engineers
* Collaborate cross-functionally with internal NYTimes services, as well as external APIs
* Optimize the platform to ensure high performance by writing quality code and partnering with in-house QA team to test and fix bugs
What You Need for this Position:
* Experience building native Android applications using Java or Kotlin
* Strong understanding of dependency injection
* Proficiency in multi-threading
* Proficiency with RxJava and other third-party libraries such as: Gradle, Dagger, Espresso, etc...
* Experience with architectural patterns such as MVP, MVC and MVVM
* Strong knowledge of layouts, themes, styles, views and other Android UI concepts especially pertaining to Material Design Guidelines
* Hands on experience working with third party APIs
* Familiarity with build tools and continuous integration
You're a perfect fit for the role if:
* You get just as excited improving performance and efficiency as you do building the latest feature
* You adhere to best practices for developing Android applications that target multiple devices and platform versions
* You are experienced and happy in a fast-moving, continuous flow development environment
* You strive to improve your Android skills and the skills of your team through constant feedback and discussions
* You have experience profiling memory such as analyzing heap dumps and finding memory leaks
* You keep up with and research the latest in Android development
* You want to share your learnings and breakthroughs by writing blog posts, and speaking at conferences and meetups
Libraries we use and love:
Benefits and Perks:
* Make an impact by supporting our original, independent and deeply reported journalism.
* We provide competitive health, dental, vision and life insurance for employees and their families
* We support responsible retirement planning with a generous 401(k) company match.
* We offer a competitive parental leave.
* We are committed to career development and ongoing learning, and provide employees $8,000 annually for tuition reimbursement.
* We have frequent panel discussions and talks by a wide variety of newsmakers and industry leaders.
* Join a community committed to the richness of diversity, experiences and talents in the world we cover, supported by a variety of employee resource groups.
The New York Times is committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce, one that reflects the varied global community we serve. Our journalism and the products we build in the service of that journalism greatly benefit from a range of perspectives, which can only come from diversity of all types, across our ranks, at all levels of the organization. Achieving true diversity and inclusion is the right thing to do. It is also the smart thing for our business. So we strongly encourage women, veterans, people with disabilities, people of color and gender nonconforming candidates to apply.
The New York Times Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of an individual's sex, age, race, color, creed, national origin, alienage, religion, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation or affectional preference, gender identity and expression, disability, genetic trait or predisposition, carrier status, citizenship, veteran or military status and other personal characteristics protected by law. All applications will receive consideration for employment without regard to legally protected characteristics.
Let your dream job find you.
Sign up to start matching with top companies. It’s fast and free.