- RaiseMe is a social enterprise focused on expanding access to higher education, especially among low income and first generation students. Rather than waiting until the end of high school to earn scholarships, which is often too late to impact a student's college ambitions or choices, RaiseMe enables students to earn scholarships throughout high school, starting as early as 9th grade, for doing all the things that best prepare them to succeed, whether that’s getting good grades, volunteering in the community or joining an extracurricular.
- Over a million students - representing 2 out of 3 high schools in America - have signed up to earn 'micro-scholarships' from a diverse set of over 300 colleges and universities, including Northeastern, Colby, Penn State, Michigan State, Tulane and Rollins College. At RaiseMe, we're focused every day on making sure every student has the opportunity to achieve their college ambitions and go as far as their skills and smarts will take them.
Our Engineering Team:
- Our teams are divided into 3 pods, each with a product manager and a designer. We're a nimble team and each pod runs 2-week agile sprints (and all accompanying agile/scrum ceremonies) — the sprints are aligned together for convenience. Each pod (and engineer) is empowered to do what it takes to get things done. We push code via PRs on github and after 2 LGTM it gets merged. We use HoundCI and CircleCI for our CI/CD pipeline and are in the process of switching to containerized development & pipelines. We're a big fan of discussions and like to discuss technical changes via RFCs, group slack or meetings if needed.
- We have millions of students, thousands of schools, and hundreds of colleges. We have several "portals" with different use cases — think of high school students, parents, school counselors/teachers, colleges and community college students — so providing a great experience to all is a fascinating technical challenge. We have a ton of data and use machine-learning models to help recommend the right college to students and we have many more ideas on how we can help make a difference in students' education & careers. Another big challenge for us in 2019 is looking at how we can best leverage more of cloud computing (AWS) to help us focus even more on building big things.
Company Culture: We live and breath our company values in our everyday lives, our hiring, and how we have fun. Our values are: Be Inclusive (diversity, equity & inclusion), Be A Scientist (data-driven), Raise The Bar (integrity & quality), Always Be Improving (continuous improvement), Lead With Humility (confident & humble); and Take the Keys (ownership/responsibility). We are mission-driven and share a sense of purpose to achieve our goals of college access and affordability.
- Our people are brilliant, and incredibly passionate about college access and affordability. That commitment to our mission gives our work a shared sense of purpose in the day-to-day. Each person comes from a diverse set of experiences — whether that's from tech, teaching in the classroom, or consulting — but we're all on the same team, striving for the same goals.
- We are committed to helping students, but have a business plan to do so effectively. Our mission is sustainable; unlike a nonprofit, we have paying clients & are venture-backed (Series B). We are fortunate to work with strong investors like Redpoint, Teamworthy, the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative, Salesforce Ventures, and Owl Ventures.
- We are launching new products this year and growing our engineering team, and we're looking for people who want to make an impact in the work they're doing. We believe that our best work emerges from a diverse team, and that a diverse team produces better products and outcomes for the communities we serve. We are committed to building a diverse, inclusive & equitable workplace where individuals from a variety of backgrounds are valued and empowered to contribute to our mission.