Position Description Benefits Supplemental Questions
The City of Seattle is seeking qualified candidates for the position of Work, Asset and Inventory Applications Developer with Seattle Information Technology (IT).
As a city, Seattle is known as a progressive leader in technology, innovation and the environment. As an employer, the City of Seattle is leading local government in environmental stewardship and social justice amongst other things, making our City what it is today and shaping our exciting future. The organization's workforce plays a critical in making this possible.
Seattle IT is the technology backbone of the City of Seattle's complex operations and its ability to deliver a wide array of services for the residents of Seattle. The 700+ strong professionals in Seattle IT are involved in the full spectrum of a modern IT enterprise offering many dynamic career opportunities. Our vision is simple: be a Best-in-Class digital services delivery team and set best practices for others to follow.
Seattle Information Technology is looking for an application developer to support the Work, Asset and Inventory (WAI) Applications across the city, including departments such as: Finance and Administration Services, Seattle Police Department, Seattle Public Utilities, etc. These applications represent a mix of commercial-off-the-shelf (COTS), vendor hosted, Software as a Service (SaaS) and custom-built applications.
The working environment involves interfacing daily with Work and Asset business customers from all City departments. You will learn ot understand how IT services aid them with critical business functions and ultimately support their application needs. The position provides expert guidance to WAI staff on how to best use the software solutions available, supporting business goals, identify opportunities for system improvements and assists with prioritization of the requested improvements. The position supports ongoing O&M along with Capital projects.
There are several upcoming capital projects that involve implementing SaaS and COTS applications, developing interfaces to and from other applications and designing support processes for new enterprise applications. This is an ideal opportunity for someone who enjoys variety in their work is skillful at multitasking and looking for a challenging position in a fast-paced team-oriented IT environment.
The current team is made up of highly technical software developers who are currently focused on projects, maintenance and enhancement work efforts. All developers are adept in multiple technology languages such as C# ASP.net, SSRS, SQL, and have a strong understanding of multiple development methodologies such as Software Development Lifecycle (SDLC) and Agile.
* Code, test, troubleshoot and document system issues and modifications, both for new development as well as maintenance
* Support and troubleshoot interface issues between Finance systems and other third-party systems
* Work with vendors on projects and provide upgrade and maintenance support
* Perform development work that conforms to standards and best practices (i.e. code reviews, etc.)
* Collaborate with business analysts and subject matter experts to analyze tradeoffs between usability and performance needs
* Perform activities typical within a Software Development Lifecycle (SDLC) including activities such as: ITIL based change and incident management processes, interative and waterfall development processes and release management activities
* Track, maintain and report on team work items using tools such as Azure Dev Ops, Team Foundation Server or other work management tools
* Work with business analysts and users to perform technical analysts options and estimate
* Develop and maintain reports and queries
* Provide peer Quality Assurance reviews on code and program modifications to ensure system internal controls and technical standards are maintained
* Translate business requirements into clear and conscise technical documentation. Prepare scalable, robust and flexible design documents, both conceptual and detailed
* Requires the ability to manage time and shifting priorities
* Proactively and effectively communicate and collaborate with external and internal customers to determind development requirements, support needs and troubleshoot issue.
Qualifications: Required Qualifications
* Bachelor's degree in Business or Computer Science or equivalent education and/or experience
* Five years as an application developer in multiple technology tools and languages
* Demonstrated experience working with a variety of applications including COTS, SaaS and Custom-Built applications
* Strong customer service skills
* Strong written and oral communication skills
* Experience with building and supporting financial applications
* Knowledge of the .NET development environment to support a large portfolio of financial systems. Includes development tools such as:
* C# ASP.NET web development
* SQL / T-SQL
* Oracle APEX, PowerBuilder, and MS Access experience is a plus
* Knowledge of COTS & SaaS systems is highly desired. Some current COTS & SaaS. Applications we support include:
* Work Asset Management
* Government and/or public sector experience
Additional Information: Please submit a resume and a cover letter to apply for this position.