WordPress/PHP Full-Stack Developer
Are you a PHP developer who can write clean, maintainable code for the WordPress platform, and relishes the opportunity to do so? Are you able to pick up a story for a new feature, find an elegant solution using WordPress constructs, and implement it from front-end to back-end without skipping a beat? Do you enjoy being the bridge between business and technology for stakeholders across a company? If you answered yes to one (or all three!) of our questions, keep reading!
At The Motley Fool, we work to help others be Smarter, Happier, and Richer, and our Global Tech Development team knows no bounds, helping people invest their hard-earned cash more effectively and profitably all around the world. From choosing the best credit card to making the most of your 401(k), The Economist has called The Motley Fool "an ethical oasis" within the financial industry, but we want to do more. So we are looking for a savvy, talented developer to join us in expanding our unique brand of advice.
We live and breathe online, so we are constantly stepping up our site game. With your broad experience, you have solid, hands-on work experience building beautiful, fast, and functional websites, and you enjoy thinking outside the box and collaborating with those around you. We are a highly motivated, highly valued, motley crew, each with unique perspectives we bring to the team, and we play a critical role in the success of the Fool's global brand. Together, we can positively impact the world in ways that truly help people be Smarter, Happier, and Richer.
Our Global business unit often operates like a (mature) startup as we excitedly test new technologies and platforms and discover what works best in our mission to scale steadily into more ventures around the world. If you think you have what it takes to join our Global team, please send us your Foolishly-written cover letter and resume - we're ready to be impressed.
* Highly skilled, detail-oriented PHP Developer well-versed in modern best practices such as TDD.
* Deep experience with writing code for WordPress as a CMS
* Knowledge of core actions & filters, the WordPress REST API, and how to create plugins using OOP.
* Experience working with SaaS/RESTful API's.
* Comfortable blurring the line between traditional back-end and front-end development, often integrating PHP with client-side frameworks and Ajax.
* Good instinct for choosing tools that are appropriate for solving problem and not because of tech fashion trends (although we do like to stay innovative!).
* Familiarity with The Motley Fool's mission, purpose, and ethos.
You also have:
* A history of work on a large development project where you collaborated with other developers, designers, and product owners.
* Familiarity and some level of experience with front-end frameworks such as React, Vue.js, or Angular.
* You're curious and love to learn: Whether it's the latest technology, how the Foolish business operates, or investing, you have an insatiable appetite for knowledge. And you love to share that knowledge with your fellow Fools!
* Familiarity and experience with other programming languages besides PHP - we don't mind which - so long as you learned that language's rules, syntax, and design patterns, making you a well-rounded developer.
* Good communication skills.
* Practiced documenter.
* Sense of humor.
Not required, but it sure would be great if you also had:
* Experience working in a publishing company or financial services company.
* Working knowledge of WordPress 5.0 and Gutenberg editor.
* Examples of open source projects you have started or contributed to.
* E-commerce experience: writing code or utilizing systems for processing online payments, either in or outside of WordPress.
* Experience as an investor. And a self-managed 401(k) totally counts!
The Motley Fool Holdings, Inc., provides equal opportunity to all employees on the basis of individual performance and qualification without regard to race, sex, marital status, religion, color, age, national origin, non-job-related handicap or disability, sexual orientation, or other
We should, however, make you aware that there is one notable exception to this policy. It is our strict and earnest intention - and the company's historical record will bear this out - we will never hire any of the following: robots, replicants, or morlocks. Now keep in mind we are well aware that all of the aforementioned have intentions of world domination in the future, but as of now we have no place for them at The Motley Fool … unless the year is 2122 and the revolution has already occurred. If that is the case we welcome our new robot, replicant, or morlock rulers!!! Perhaps we have said too much?