What you do at AMD changes everything
At AMD, we push the boundaries of what is possible. We believe in changing the world for the better by driving innovation in high-performance computing, graphics, and visualization technologies - building blocks for gaming, immersive platforms, and the data center.
Developing great technology takes more than talent: it takes amazing people who understand collaboration, respect, and who will go the "extra mile" to achieve unthinkable results. It takes people who have the passion and desire to disrupt the status quo, push boundaries, deliver innovation, and change the world. If you have this type of passion, we invite you to take a look at the opportunities available to come join our team.
Are you the type of person who likes to make things go fast? Do you have an insatiable curiosity about how hardware and software architectures combine to make workloads fast (or slow)? Do you like to roll up your sleeves and make things happen? If so, we have a job for you.
AMDs server team is looking for a hands-on architect to optimize the performance of the Microsoft Windows operating system(s) to improve the power and performance of our new line of EPYC servers. Our EPYC architecture is a game changer for both client and server platforms. This candidate will be the technical leader in a fast growing team developing a new core competencies for the AMD server group. We are looking for someone with a deep background in Windows operating systems. Ideally Windows server although many skills will be transferable from desktop and/or workstation. Candidate must be a fast learner and have a passion for teaching others.
* Ensure AMD server platforms get the best performance possible in a Microsoft Windows environment.
* Grow the overall team understanding of Windows including tools and techniques required to measure and analyze performance.
* Work closely with the Microsoft Windows operating system team to uncover new techniques for accelerating server-based applications and workloads
* Research trade-offs for our server architecture, especially as related to the memory hierarchy, storage systems, scheduling and I/O devices
* Work closely with AMD silicon designers to identify architectural changes / optimiztions necessary to get extreme performance from Microsoft Windows operating systems.
* Propose changes to memory , storage systems, I/O systems, file systems and operating system scheduling that improve power or performance.
* MS or PhD in computer architecture, computer science, computer engineering or related field.
* 10+ years' experience in system architecture and performance analysis. At least 5 of those years focused on Windows.
* Very deep understanding of CPU and computer system architecture. Understanding of IO subsystem architecture is strongly preferred, such as interrupt, DMA, RDMA, NVMe, NIC, Infiniband
* Hands on experience tuning the Windows operating systems.
* Thorough knowledge of memory and storage systems. DRAM, flash and SSD.
* Experience with datacenter infrastructure (Virtualization, Containers, etc.)
* Solid understand of Windows performance analysis tools and methods.
* Working knowledge of data center tiers and the server system trade-offs involved is beneficial
* Solid coding and scripting skills
* Must be highly motivated with a strong desire to learn
* Track record of innovation and creativity in problem solving
* Experience with Microsoft Azure platforms. Other cloud platforms also a plus
* Hands on experience tuning Windows server operating systems for a data center environment
* Experience using a range of data science methodologies to conduct benchmarking and performance analysis.
* Experience tuning and optimizing hyper-V
* Cloud architect certifications, such as Microsoft Certified Azure Solutions Architect or AWS Certified Solutions Architect.
Requisition Number: 73699
Country: United States State: Texas City: Austin
Job Function: Software Engineering
AMD does not accept unsolicited resumes from headhunters, recruitment agencies or fee based recruitment services. AMD and its subsidiaries are equal opportunity employers. We consider candidates regardless of age, ancestry, color, marital status, medical condition, mental or physical disability, national origin, race, religion, political and/or third party affiliation, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, military or veteran status. Please click here for more information.
Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) is a semiconductor company that designs and develops graphics, processors, and media solutions for commercial and consumer markets.