WEB SERVICES ARCHITECT
WHO IS SPR?
SPR is a digital technology consultancy that develops elegant solutions to transform the way people do business. We're 300+ strategists, developers, designers, architects, consultants, thinkers, and doers in Chicago. We work with 160 clients in 10 unique industries - everything from corporate finance and global logistics to local breweries and Chicago startups.
We think about the end users and rigorously apply the latest technologies and frameworks to address our clients' needs. We enable companies to do more with data, engage with other people, build disruptive solutions, and operate productively. To do this, we hire smart technologists and sharp business leaders who are excellent communicators and have an interest in working on multiple projects across industries.
SPR offers a great environment for employees to learn, to build systems that make an impact, and to tackle exciting challenges. With our office's "Maker Space", you can explore your IoT side and develop fun projects with 3D printing and CNC machining. We operate in a fun, casual work environment and have great benefits including: competitive salary, bonuses, generous vacation time, big fitness incentives, and medical/dental/vision insurance.
By joining the SPR team, you'll be using your brain, working hard and making an impact through your projects - and you'll be rewarded for it. WHAT IS THE POSITION?
SPR is seeking to hire a great web service architect to join our team. Ideally, you enjoy leading small teams committed to developing and maintaining great solutions leveraging microservice and serverless architectures, quickly learn new languages and frameworks, have experience delivering solutions using agile methodologies, and have some expertise with CI/CD pipelines, automated testing, and NoSQL databases. Familiarity with cloud and Docker DevOps processes, AWS Lambda, DynamoDB, Kinesis, and Angular front-end development is a plus.
* Lead a team of developers crafting production-ready, internet-scale web services.
* Communicate an application's architecture and components so that other developers can successfully implement stories and features.
* Provide story estimates for new requirements, then collaborate with your team to execute the delivery from start to finish.
* Delivery efficient, documented, and maintainable code.
* Write unit tests and integration tests for critical components.
* Support team members evaluating new technologies and solving problems.
* Evaluate pull requests and perform code walk-throughs to ensure the team delivers a high-quality solution to our clients.
* Recognize innovation opportunities and advocate for them.
* Willing to commute to client sites throughout the Chicagoland area.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
* You have an excellent understanding of Java or Kotlin, Node.js, and related server-side frameworks such as Spring Boot, express.js, and AWS Lambda.
* You have familiarity with Angular front-end development to create small web applications that demonstrate web services.
* You can expertly apply modern development practices and design patterns to microservice and AWS serverless applications, and can mentor teammates on the same.
* You have demonstrated responsibility for the full project life-cycle.
* You can translate high-level project requirements into an application architecture and collaborate with teammates to implement that architecture.
* You possess a deep understanding of RESTful service patterns and JSON data representations.
* You have extensive experience with automated testing, CI/CD pipelines, and DevOps processes for integration, deployment, and monitoring services.
* You have knowledge of enterprise authentication and identity management services such as single sign-on (SSO), and OAuth, and services such as Auth0 or OneLogin.
* Excellent grasp of the microservice and serverless landscape, trends, and emerging technologies.
* Degree level qualification desirable but suitable professional experience will be considered.
Success in this role requires industry expertise with cloud architectures, a desire to deliver great solutions to clients, a strong work ethic, excellent collaboration skills, and a relentless focus on what's best for our clients.
SPR offers a competitive compensation package.
If this sounds like the kind of challenge you would be up for every day, we would love to hear from you.