Are you a systems thinker with model-based systems engineering (MBSE) experience that wants to have impact on nationally important defense programs?
Do you love working with a diverse group of dedicated technical specialists in a collaborative teaming environment?
If so, we're looking for someone like you to join our team at APL.
We are seeking a systems engineer proficient in MBSE for the Weapon Systems Engineering Group in the Force Projection Sector. We provide vital systems engineering and system development expertise to nationally important strategic deterrence capabilities for the Navy and Air Force. As a member of our team, you will provide advanced MBSE expertise in developing system models, model profiles, architecture frameworks, and systems engineering processes for several critical strategic weapons systems development programs. We are passionate about making critical contributions to these critically important programs, and you will be a key part of our success. With your help, we will remain at the forefront of weapon systems engineering for the Force Projection Sector.
As a Weapon System Model-Based Systems Engineer...
* Your primary responsibility will be to provide systems engineering and MBSE thought leadership and expertise to the development and evaluation of complex strategic deterrent systems and supporting infrastructure.
* You will work with an advanced team to develop and implement system models to support development and integration of new strategic deterrent systems as well as modernization and sustainment of existing systems.
* You will apply your systems engineering expertise on requirements analysis, concept/technology development, architecture analysis, risk assessments and test & evaluation for strategic deterrent systems.
* You will deliver formal presentations to sponsors and supporting contractors, and effectively communicate proposed concepts/solutions and analysis results.
* You will develop model profiles, tool plug-ins, architecture frameworks, and model queries in the MBSE tools that capture and analyze models of the systems being developed throughout their lifecycle from concept definition through fielding and support.
* You will help define model-based design review requirements and update the systems engineering process to utilize advanced MBSE techniques.
You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you...
* Have a Bachelor's degree in engineering, mathematics, physics or related technical field.
* Have experience performing systems engineering in the design, development or evaluation of complex weapon systems.
* Have experience in system modeling using UML/SysML and associated modeling software
* Have broad systems engineering experience including early concept development, requirements analysis, design, test and evaluation, and risk assessment.
* Have especially strong verbal and written communication skills, as well as strong critical thinking skills.
* Have shown the ability to interact effectively with and lead diverse, multidisciplinary teams, including industry and government sponsors.
* Are willing and able to travel periodically, including short duration visits to sponsor offices at the Washington Navy Yard and to supporting contractor sites, as well as occasional travel to other military bases across the country.
* Hold an active Secret security clearance and are able to get a Top Secret clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
You'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you...
* Have an advanced degree in systems engineering.
* Have experience in systems engineering for missile systems.
* Have relevant OMG or other systems engineering certifications
* Have worked with modeling frameworks such as the Department of Defense Architecture Framework or Unified Architecture Framework.
* Have expertise using and/or writing custom scripts and/or plug-ins for MagicDraw modeling software and DOORS requirements software.
* Have direct experience applying aspects of MBSE in support of system development.
* Have experience integrating physics-based models with a SysML-based system model, particularly using Model Center integration software.
* Have experience with DoD acquisition processes, Navy Strategic Systems programs, and/or Air Force ICBM programs.
* Have knowledge of the Navy Trident II Strategic Weapon System and/or Air Force ICBM System.
* Hold an active Top Secret security clearance.
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation's most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. With a wide selection of challenging, impactful work and a robust education assistance program, APL promotes a culture of life-long learning. Our employees enjoy generous benefits and healthy work/life balance. APL's campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities at www.jhuapl.edu/careers.
APL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.