At Oscar, we are re-envisioning healthcare by bringing technologists and industry experts together. We believe that great technology can revolutionize the operations and infrastructure underlying today's healthcare and insurance systems, and is key to delivering transformative experiences for our members and the medical experts who provide their care. Oscar engineers work on some of the most challenging problems in tech - helping users navigate the complex health industry through beautiful user applications, elegant distributed system design, making sense of noisy data, statistical learning, and language theory. We invest in our people, our tools, and our processes so we can focus on solving big problems while learning from one another.
As the VP, Engineering - Member Applications you will be responsible for the teams and systems ranging from New Member acquisition, signup and on-boarding, to the mobile and web applications that power our unique member experience. Your primary responsibility will be to continue building up a world class engineering team, and ensure they have everything they need to be successful. As part of Oscar's leadership team, you will inform and align your teams around strategic decisions and ensure we are operating on the right vision, strategy, and roadmaps to solve our most pressing problems. In addition, you will manage roadmaps, timelines, and overall execution in your organization; ensure smooth cross-team and cross-departmental collaboration; and ensure consistent performance management.
Sample projects the application teams are tackling:
* Virtual Care. At Oscar we believe that an amazing telemedicine experience is a key ingredient in both lowering costs and providing the best experience possible for our members, and this is reflected in utilization that is 8X that of our competitors. We are constantly working to improve and extend our virtual care platform, as we expand its use from urgent and episodic care toward a longitudinal replacement for primary care for our members.
* Enrollment Channels & Member Onboarding. Finding the right health insurance plan can be confusing. Oscar's membership growth teams work on making our plan information and quoting tools transparent and easy to understand, while making signup up a breeze. New Oscar members are then onboarded to our powerful ecosystem of tools and services.
* Search & Scheduling. Oscar members can search for doctors, medical conditions, drugs, and facilities based on a variety of criteria, and can even schedule doctor appointments using our web and mobile applications.
* Marketing Site. We've recently begun to develop our marketing web presence entirely in-house, in collaboration with Oscar's marketing design team. This fast-paced and creative work has won recognition in the past, including a 2017 Webby Award.
* Supporting Member Services. It's not just about the technology - for personal matters such as healthcare, a human touch is often better than the most sophisticated software. We invest heavily in creating software to help our Concierge member service teams do their jobs ever more effectively.
* You are passionate about analyzing and helping solve deep technical challenges, and share our fundamental belief that the proper application of technology and data are critical levers in transforming the US healthcare system.
* You have 15+ years of software engineering experience, including a proven record of successful leadership.
* You have deep experience with modern technologies, architectures and agile development methods and an extensive track record of driving innovation in fast-paced environments.
* You have 8+ years of people management experience and can effectively mentor senior leaders on management and technical tracks.
* You have a track record of building high-functioning teams and can help us attract, develop, and retain the best engineering talent in the industry.
* You make people and teams around you better through direct yet kind feedback, effective mentorship, and proactive collaboration.
* You are neither territorial, nor build-an-empire oriented, but rather think, operate and lead toward doing what is best for the company. And you take your teams with you on that journey.
* You understand the "inclusion" part of Diversity & Inclusion and can help us improve and maintain a great culture where the best ideas prevail, and everyone feels safe and heard.
* The member applications group is approximately 50 engineers and we're planning to scale to 100+ over the next year. We're looking for someone who has experienced that scale and growth rate to help us build the team successfully while continuing to enhance our approach to work.
At Oscar, being an Equal Opportunity Employer means more than upholding discrimination-free hiring practices. It means that we work to cultivate an environment where exceptional people can be their most authentic selves and find both belonging and support. We're on a mission to change healthcare -- an experience made whole by your unique background and perspectives.
Oscar applicants are considered solely based on their qualifications, without regard to applicant's disability or need for accommodation. Any Oscar applicant who requires reasonable accommodations during the application process should contact the Oscar Benefits Team (firstname.lastname@example.org) to make the need for an accommodation known.
Pay Transparency Policy: Oscar's Pay Transparency Policy ensures that you won't be discharged or discriminated against based on whether you've inquired about, discussed, or disclosed your pay. Read the full policy here.
About Oscar Insurance
Oscar is a health insurance company that employs technology, design and data to humanize health care.