A career at New York Life offers many opportunities. To be part of a growing and successful business. To reach your full potential, whatever your specialty. Above all, to make a difference in the world by helping people achieve financial security. It's a career journey you can be proud of, and you'll find plenty of support along the way. Our development programs range from skill-building to management training, and we value our diverse and inclusive workplace where all voices can be heard. Recognized as one of Fortune's World's Most Admired Companies, New York Life is committed to improving local communities through a culture of employee giving and service, supported by our Foundation. It all adds up to a rewarding career at a company where doing right by our customers is part of who we are, as a mutual company without outside shareholders. We invite you to bring your talents to New York Life, so we can continue to help families and businesses "Be Good At Life." To learn more, please visit LinkedIn, our Newsroom and the Careers page of www.NewYorkLife.com.
New York Life Insurance (NYL) is seeking a highly-talented, driven technical lead to join our dynamic, high-performing team focused on modernizing the core of our insurance technology ecosystem. The future-state vision includes a best-of-breed, cloud-based technology ecosystem incorporating core insurance platforms, sophisticated rules engines, predictive models, as well as machine learning and AI integrated with a consumer-facing digital experience layer. NYL is uniquely positioned for success as we embark on this modernization journey thanks to our significant strategic advantage in insurance expertise and deep financial resources attributed to our 173-year history and AAA rating. We are looking for a leader who possesses the right combination of technical savvy and drive to join the team with the vision, experience and commitment to transform the very core of an industry leading life insurer’s technology ecosystem.
The Technical Lead role will work with senior business and technology leaders, insurance architects, strategic business analysts and management consultants to develop a comprehensive strategy and set of roadmaps for the core insurance modernization initiative. With strategy and roadmaps defined, the individual will manage internal and external engineers and developers that will execute against the roadmaps in a collaborative cross-functional matrixed delivery model. This role requires a unique ability to dive deep to resolve complex technology challenges facing our delivery teams one hour and then elevate to provide executive-level strategy updates the next. The ideal candidate has a minimum of 15 years of experience in Architecture, Design and Development roles on complex, multi-cloud, multi-provider, new platform introductions.
If you are ready for a challenging leadership role in a fast-paced environment, on a highly visible initiative, this position is for you.
* Partner with business and technology leadership to define technology strategy and roadmaps for large scale technology initiatives
* Assess new technologies and articulate the transition from current to future state in consideration of the future needs of the business, security policies and requirements, striking a balance between standardization, customization, innovation, costs, and risk management
* Manage internal and external development teams through all phases of the technology development life cycle
* Assist in development of business cases by providing relevant technology implications
* Collaborate with Solution Architects to provide implementation plans for selected full stack solutions (infrastructure, middleware, front-end applications)
* Oversee program designs with broad implications for the business, delivering innovative changes and successfully addressing cross-technology and cross-platform issues
* Ensure solution designs and development efforts align with architecture for a collection of integrated solutions hosted on numerous Cloud and On-Premise Infrastructures
* Work across development and test teams to ensure system integration points are understood, built with precision, highly available, performant under load and proactively monitored
* Own relationship with Security & Risk Management teams, ensuring program designs satisfy data security and privacy requirements
* Partner with Program Management to establish development and performance metrics
* Ensure best practices for coding and build management are being followed for applications hosted On Premise at NYL as well as Cloud Hosted (and Cloud-Optimized) solutions that can take advantage of more modern principles and tools
* Articulate technology issues/concerns that may emerge at any level of the technical stack, and from any component across the ecosystem, to senior business and technology leaders
* Closely monitor industry trends and developments and pass on findings to team leadership
* Ability to effectively communicate complex technical concepts to varying audiences, including non-technical business executives
* Has designed systems/applications with high level of complexity (e.g. many interfaces, multiple packages, platforms)
* Enterprise, solution, application and integration architecture experience (5-10 years)
* App Dev or SOA Dev Experience (2-5 years)
* Team Leadership Experience (2-5 years)
* Web Service Design Experience (2-5 years), Micro Service Design Experience (1-2 years)
* Congenial history of building consensus among competing interests
* Experience in IT Delivery, with track record of successful implementation of Architectural vision
* Strong knowledge of modern Infrastructure and Application Development practices and tools
* Strong knowledge of Cloud-Enabled/Optimized practices and implications for Application Development teams
* Strong SOA concepts and tools experience
* Strong XML schema experience, ACORD experience preferred
* Strong Java / Web App experience
* Strong experience with source control management
* Strong Relational Database development experience, design experience preferred
* Experience with continuous integration tools (eg. Jenkins)
* Bachelor's degree in a technical field and/or equivalent work experience
* MBA or Master’s degree in a related field
* High Tech, Life Insurance or Financial Services industry experience
* Experience with SAFE or other agile frameworks
Travel Requirement: 15%
If you have difficulty using or interacting with any portions of this Web site due to incompatibility with an Assistive Technology, if you need the information in an alternative format, or if you have suggestions on how we can make this site more accessible, please contact us at: (212) 576-5811.