The Technical Project Manager (TPM) plans, coordinates, and facilitates software development projects for one or more teams from start to delivery. The TPM works with Product Managers and subject matter experts to understand business requirements, translates these requirements into technical or functional specifications where needed, and shepherds them through the software development lifecycle. The TPM owns the progress of the project from the point of scheduling to the point of release to production, clearly communicates the project progress, resolves unknowns, and removes any impediments that keep the teams from completing their assigned work.
* Owns assigned product feature delivery from start to finish.
* Partner with Product, Engineering, and QA leads to ensure that projects are developed and delivered to production as efficiently as possible.
* Working in partnership with Product and Business stakeholders, flesh out and/or create actionable technical project specifications from business requirements.
* Understand at a deep level the product features for which the teams are responsible, becoming the "internal subject matter expert" for systems maintained by the teams.
* Identify obstacles to efficient completion of delivery milestones and proactively remove or mitigate them. Adapt project scope in response to deadline changes and/or project obstacles to ensure delivery of viable business features on the original deadline.
* Coordinate or orchestrate with other project teams for cross-team dependencies.
* Ensure timely tracking and completion of project deliverables.
* Facilitate the project grooming and estimation efforts to ensure that the teams understand the requirements and has produced a work plan that accounts for known risks and mitigates unknown issues.
* Communicate scope or milestone changes early and clearly to stakeholders to ensure buy-in throughout the organization.
* Foster a collaborative environment reinforcing transparency, quality, and continuous learning.
* Work interactively with stakeholders and team members identify areas of improvement for the teams or their products.
* Provide executive project reporting- project status, risks, issues and mitigation plan.
* Display solid fiscal responsibility by managing and adhering to budgets and always seeking out operating efficiencies and economies.
* Model an inclusive, roll-up-your-sleeves work ethic by showing a willingness to participate in daily workloads when needed to make deadlines.
* Minimum of 3 years of experience with project management of software development teams, including both web applications and back-end server solutions.
* Experience with software development planning concepts, including scheduling, risk mitigation, and product rollouts.
* Prior professional experience as an individual contributor in the software development lifecycle (e.g., developer, designer, tester etc.) strongly preferred.
* Strong understanding of business to technical requirement translation.
* Demonstrated ability to lead functional, technical, and strategic discussions to drive successful outcomes.
* Excellent written and communication skills.
* Keen analytical mindset.
* Strong action orientation.
* Experience with both Agile and traditional (waterfall, spiral, etc.) development practices.
* Agile project management certification a plus.
* Knowledge of tracking and reporting tools, JIRA preferred. Affinity with Confluence.
About j2 Global
J2 Global is an Internet information and services company.