Department2010009 BSD - Center for Data Intensive Science
About the UnitThe Center for Data Intensive Science at the University of Chicago is a research center pioneering translational data science to advance biology, medicine, and environmental research. Data driven research approaches require interdisciplinary innovation in computing technology, algorithms, and statistical models. The growing volume of data available necessitates advances in the sophistication of these methods. Our work centers around developing software platforms to integrate repositories of complex data with cloud computing technology. We architect large scale data commons consisting of research data, computing resources, and software applications, tools, and services. Our guiding principles center around open data, open-source software, and open infrastructure. Through this approach, we can more effectively use data at scale to study and pursue scientific inquiry in the areas of biology, medicine, healthcare, and the environment. We are leaders in developing large scale data platforms that support the analysis of large and complex datasets, enable data sharing, and accelerate research discoveries. Our center developed the first, or one of the first, large scale data clouds, data commons, and data ecosystems supporting biomedical and environmental research. Today we offer over seven petabytes of rich research data through the following data commons platforms: - NCI Genomic Data Commons - Bionimbus Protected Data Cloud - Blood Profiling Atlas for Cancer - BRAIN Data Commons - OCC Environmental Data Commons - Open Science Data Cloud We are based in Chicago, but our work engages collaborators from across the world.
You will be responsible for understanding and meeting organizational and contractual expectations regarding business solution delivery standards, work scope management, solution quality, and client satisfaction. You will lead from a business analyst perspective from the ground up, as a communicator, liaison, and information source for the team. You will be a critical advisor for the agile development team, collaborating to deliver innovative solutions to support the cancer research community. By its nature, the GDC lies at the intersection of cutting edge research and production systems, both in terms of the bioinformatics and computer science principles being utilized. You will be empowered, decisive, communicative, business-savvy, and highly available to the team, leadership, and stakeholders.
This at-will position is wholly or partially funded by contractual grant funding which is renewed under provisions set by the grantor of the contract. Employment will be contingent upon the continued receipt of these grant funds and satisfactory job performance.
* Work with all stakeholders to define and document the use cases and product requirements that will determine the success of the solution.
* Translate product requirements into user stories and/or technical specifications.
* Develop and write clear user stories and technical tasks in JIRA.
* Provide other documentation as needed such as API specifications, process diagrams, and other models to clarify the desired solutions.
* Work with the team leads, collaboratively using JIRA, to help prioritize stories, tasks and their dependencies to ensure a smooth agile process.
* Provide input in test plans and participate in writing test cases, test execution and defect reporting to ensure that solutions implemented meet requirements and are both of high quality and operationally sustainable.
* Self-managed approach to effectively gather and communicate project expectations in a clear and concise fashion to multiple stakeholders.
* Timely escalation of any concerns, risks and issues pertaining to business analysis.
* Support Agile project management processes as needed.
* Participate in project meetings and provide insight as appropriate.
* Documenting and reporting to project leadership and senior management.
* Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to work effectively with technical staff, non-technical staff, all levels of management, and clients required.
* Detail-oriented and highly organized with outstanding problem-solving skills required.
* Work effectively in a fast-paced, changing environment required.
* Perform business process re-engineering and transformations required. Understand disparate functionalities arising from various business units from a technical point of view required.
* Familiarity with full stack architecture, specifically SQL databases, APIs, and web development required.
* Ability to generate wire-frames and flowcharts to accompany user stories or as a brainstorming aid required.
* Deep technical understanding of the system and software architecture will be critical to success in this role.
* Have or rapidly gain a working knowledge of cancer genomics to understand the use cases and requirements for the GDC.
Education, Experience or Certifications:
* Bachelor's degree in computer science, mathematics, statistics, engineering, or a related field required.
* 5+ years of experience in progressive technical business analysis role required.
* Experience with Agile methodology required.
* Experience with writing technical specifications required, with a focus on full stack architecture, including REST APIs, SQL and noSQL data solutions and distributed infrastructure required.
* Experience with business analysis and quality assurance professional standards, business processes, workflows, methodologies and leading practices required.
* Experience leading business analysis activities while ensuring the traceability and optimum coverage of business requirements defined required.
* Experience working in a Linux command line environment required.
* Experience in Change Management, Release Management, Incident, Project Management and working on Business Intelligence preferred. Experience with HIPAA and/or FISMA security regulations preferred.
* Experience with cancer or human genomics preferred.
* Experience with bioinformatics preferred.
* Experience managing a backlog of requirements in an Agile workflow required.
* Experience creating user stories from requirements required.
* Experience with JIRA project tracking software required.
NOTE: When applying, all required documents MUST be uploaded under the Resume/CV section of the application
Pay RangeDepends on Qualifications
Scheduled Weekly Hours37.5
Job is Exempt?Yes
Drug Test Required?No
Does this position require incumbent to operate a vehicle on the job?No
Health Screen Required?No
Remove from Posting On or Before2019-04-30-07:00
The University of Chicago is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity/Disabled/Veterans Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, status as an individual with a disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or other protected classes under the law. For additional information please see the University's Notice of Nondiscrimination.
Staff Job seekers in need of a reasonable accommodation to complete the application process should call 773-702-5800 or submit a request via Applicant Inquiry Form.
The University of Chicago's Annual Security & Fire Safety Report (Report) provides information about University offices and programs that provide safety support, crime and fire statistics, emergency response and communications plans, and other policies and information. The Report can be accessed online at: http://securityreport.uchicago.edu. Paper copies of the Report are available, upon request, from the University of Chicago Police Department, 850 E. 61st Street, Chicago, IL 60637.