What you'll be doing...
You'll be helping us deliver more value to our customers by working with partners to implement their applications and services onto our internet of things platform. Working closely with our technology, engineering, product management teams and partners, you'll develop robust, scalable, and flexible architecture designs for various projects. Your important work will include assessing, integrating, planning, and on-boarding our partners' applications and systems. Ultimately, it's about enhancing the customer experience - giving them a wider choice of products and services to choose from.
* Lead the IoT team, responsible for IoT System Engineering and Design.
* Leverage your extensive knowledge of platforms that vary in technology, brand and vendor support. Manage all aspects of environment development and supportability designs that enable Operations and Engineering teams to support the platform.
* Develop detailed designs, documentation, and architecture diagrams for high-performance, highly available networked systems providing commercial IoT services to Verizon customers. Additional elements could include: Define and document the server physical or virtual CPU, memory, storage, operating systems, and database designs.
* Define and document power and space requirements for new Network equipment (servers, load balancers, firewalls, etc.).
* Define and document the networking requirements for the system, including IPv4 and IPv6 addressing, VLANs, numbers and types of network ports and cabling.
* Analyze system capacity vs. forecasted demand and traffic projections, ensuring the system will be able to scale up or out to meet unexpectedly high demand.
* Define and document the data interfaces between the new system and other existing systems in the network as needed, such as API's, DNS, REST/HTTP, IMAP, Diameter, SIP, SQL.
* Analyze end-to-end (user-to-user or service-to-user) call flows to design for service reliability and make sure all Business requirements and Network impacts are accounted for.
* Provide support to the Product Development and Network teams for new and existing products & services, and their integration into the Verizon IoT ecosystem.
* Drive Product and vendors to identify the requirements best suited for the platform/service while bearing in mind the space, power and cooling requirements. Work with vendors to fully understand needs of the application to optimize System and Storage configuration to achieve higher and reliable capacity ratings.
* Work with Capacity SME and planning organizations, to develop strategies and tactical plans for ensuring reliable architecture designs of Network components and services.
* Provide direction to vendors. Work with internal Verizon Wireless groups to develop and complete design, sizing, and call flow models to ensure platforms being sized and installed to meet performance and capacity requirements.
* Work independently, engage other technical subject matter experts as needed for input is very important.
What we're looking for...
You'll need to have:
* Bachelor's degree or four or more years of work experience.
* Six or more years of relevant work experience.
Even better if you have:
* Bachelor's degree in computer science or engineering.
* Familiarity with multiple software delivery lifecycle methods.
* Experience with internet of things communications protocols.
* Awareness of web, database, big data analytics, and operating systems.
* Experience with implementation activities such as designing, prototyping, development, configuration, and testing.
* Experience scoping, building, and presenting project plans.
* Software development and/or architecture experience.
* Experience with the following technologies:
* Protocol Technologies: HTTP, JMS, AMQP, etcWeb Service Technologies: SOAP, REST, WSDL, XML, etc.
* M2M Platform Services: Connectivity Management, Application Enablement, Device Management, etc.
* Authorization & Authentication Technologies: OAuth.
* Expert level routing/switching certifications such as: CCIE, CCDP.
* Experience managing and communicating expectations to technical experts and customers, and managing the responses.
When you join Verizon...
You'll be doing work that matters alongside other talented people, transforming the way people, businesses and things connect with each other. Beyond powering America's fastest and most reliable network, we're leading the way in broadband, cloud and security solutions, Internet of Things and innovating in areas such as, video entertainment. Of course, we will offer you great pay and benefits, but we're about more than that. Verizon is a place where you can craft your own path to greatness. Whether you think in code, words, pictures or numbers, find your future at Verizon.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer- and celebrate our employees' differences,including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. Different makes us better.
Verizon Communications (formerly Bell Atlantic) is a company providing communications, information, and entertainment products and services.