Samba TV’s goal is to improve the TV experience for the people who watch, broadcast, and advertise on TV. By recognizing what’s on screen, our platform learns what people like, and connects them to the shows and actors they love. We deliver a personal television experience and we work together to make television the best it can be!
We are looking for people that can help us scale our infrastructure to support hundreds of millions of TVs and devices connected around the world. As part of the Infrastructure and Operations team, you will support the Samba TV platform, use technical analysis to improve the reliability and scalability of our systems, and work closely with the Engineering teams to create solutions to deploy and monitor their applications. You will have a direct impact on the direction of our products.
The ideal candidate is comfortable working in an entrepreneurial environment, is detail oriented and careful, pays extra attention to quality, and has strong communications skills. We are looking for a person that asks questions, that is confident about not knowing everything and prefers to collaborate. You are a team player, but capable of independent work. You should be comfortable in asking for help, and also stepping up and offering help to peers. You need to be able to push the boundaries and ask hard questions that can lead to big improvements.
Roles and responsibilities:
- Contribute to the specification, acquisition, deployment, installation, configuration, and administration of new equipment, including life-cycle automation.
- Create, implement, and support key infrastructure components, including monitoring and configuration management tools. Iterate on any solution to automate it or improve the automation.
- Troubleshoot issues across the stack (hardware, network, applications). Drive corrective actions of Linux kernels, drivers, system BIOS, and firmware issues. Troubleshoot advanced issues.
- Understand large and complex systems, with multiple moving interrelated parts. You will need the ability to prioritize between multiple competing projects in order to build scalable, fault-tolerant systems to help ensure uptime.
- Participate in 24/7/365 on-call rotation, that includes night and weekend shifts, and be able to resolve Critical System issues.
- BS in Computer Science, Engineering or a related technical field, or equivalent experience.
- 3+ years of work experience in a GNU/Linux environment as a systems administrator with good understanding of Operating System concepts and TCP/IP network.
- 2+ years of scripting experience (e.g. Shell, PHP, Perl, Python, or Ruby).
- 2+ years of experience with monitoring and configuration management tools (e.g. Nagios, Zabbix, ansible, chef, puppet).
- Experience with deployment, configuration, monitoring, and maintenance of various systems: bug trackers, code repositories, databases, distributed filesystems, DNS, e-mail, SSH, and web servers.
Preferred qualifications (nice to have):
- 5+ years of work experience in a Debian GNU/Linux environment as a systems administrator, with knowledge of kernel internals.
- 2+ years of Python experience.
- Experience with specific technologies: ansible, AWS, git/gitolite, graphite, jenkins, Memcached, MongoDB, Nagios, munin, PostgreSQL, puppet, Pyramid, Zookeeper.