How do you protect against those with bad intentions? You create innovative technical processing solutions and collaborate with some of the finest talent in the IT field. Whether you're an Information Systems Technologist or an Encryption Strategy Expert, at Raytheon you'll grow a varied and rewarding career. And you'll be supported with a comprehensive and competitive benefits package that promotes work/life balance. If you're ready to take on today's big challenges, discover a world of opportunity at Raytheon.
* America's Best Large Employers by Forbes
* Career & Development Opportunities
* Entry, Mid, Senior
Back to Job Navigation (Overview)
Raytheon is seeking a talented systems engineer to support NASA's Earth Observing System Data and Information System (EOSDIS) Evolution and Development 2 (EED-2) contract. Raytheon's EED-2 team provides Earth scientists and others access to data from NASA's Earth Science missions. As a member of the EED-2 team, the systems engineer will manage and maintain the innovative toolset built by the EED-2 team. These tools allow scientists and students alike to discover, transform, update and improve the quality of Earth Science data in the pursuit of solving a wide range of environmental and socio-economic issues.
This entry level systems engineering position will support the maintenance and evolution of the EOSDIS Core System (ECS). The ECS system ingests, distributes, and stores on-line earth science data and is currently operational at NASA's Distributed Active Archive Data Centers (DAAC). The ECS system runs on a Linux platform and is implemented largely in Java and C++. The candidate shall be responsible for improving system level processes that support ingest, distribution, archive systems and contractual deliverables. The candidate will perform value improvement assessments to maintain alignment with strategic customer goals and policies using agile methodologies.
The successful candidate will have a knowledge of technical standards, principles, concepts of systems engineering and will be expected to develop solutions for various system level process problems. The candidate's work will be closely supervised, primarily with technical leads, until he/she has demonstrated a level of proficiency to work independently.
Specific duties and responsibilities include:
* Collaboration with development and test teams to execute system level process improvements
* Monitoring system performance metrics and software components using Nagios
* Updating system level documentation and workflows
* Participate as a member on an Agile team and work with other team members to review user stories, estimate effort to build functionality supporting user stories and participate in sprint reviews
* Design and development of shell scripts to support system functionality
* Conducting basic forms of instructional and training analysis
* Use of effective troubleshooting techniques to identify system level process problems
* Ability to author technical papers and/or technical presentations
* Demonstrated ability to use Linux text editors
* Demonstrated ability in writing and maintaining software documentation
* Must have experience with scripting languages (e.g. shell, Perl, Python)
* Must have an active public trust clearance or be able to pass a National Agency Clearance with Inquiries (NACI) screening.
* Experience with Nagios and Postgres
* Experience with AWS Cloud Services
* Experience supporting software development teams, tools, and processes in internship and professional internship positions
* Experience with Agile development methodologies and the Atlassian tool Suite (JIRA, Confluence, Bamboo)
* Bachelors Degree obtained in the last 18 months or by Summer 2019. GPA of 3.0+ highly desired.
* Please include your GPA and transcript with Resume
This position requires either a U.S. Person or a Non-U.S. Person who is eligible to obtain any required Export Authorization.
Business Unit Profile
Raytheon Intelligence, Information and Services delivers innovative technology to make the world a safer place. Our expertise in cyber, analytics and automation allow us to reach beyond what others think is possible to underpin national security and give our global customers unique solutions to solve the most pressing modern challenges -- from the cyber domain to automated operations, and from intelligent transportation and training solutions to creating clear insight from large volumes of data. IIS operates at nearly 550 sites in 80 countries, and is headquartered in Dulles, Virginia. The business area generated $6.2 billion in 2018 revenues. As a global business, our leaders must have the ability to understand, embrace and operate in a multicultural world -- in the marketplace and the workplace. We strive to hire people who reflect our communities and embrace diversity and inclusion to advance our culture, develop our employees, and grow our business.
Computer/Management Information Systems
Type Of Job
Engineering & Sciences
MD - Riverdale
Raytheon is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
Raytheon is a global company that specializes in defense and other government markets.