The Institute of Defense Analyses (IDA) in La Jolla, CA has an immediate career opening for a Systems Engineer. This opening is located at IDA's Center for Communications Research in La Jolla, California (CCR-L). IDA offers a competitive salary, an excellent benefits package and a superior professional working environment. To the right individual, IDA offers the opportunity to have a major impact on key national programs while working on fascinating technical issues.
We are seeking a Systems Engineer, who with minimal supervision designs, administers, and maintains multiple IT systems, servers and software. The incumbent is a seasoned professional, able to solve a diverse range of complex problems within their function. Responsibilities include maintaining systems functionality, availability, security, and performance, as well as scheduling, planning, and execution of system deployments and upgrades. Manages program and project implementations that make a significant contribution to the directorates goals and objectives. Mentors junior IT staff on system operations, ensuring compatibility and configuration standards are maintained. Ensures adherence to IT best practices and corporate IT practices and security policy. Due to the nature of this position, and the requirement for extended coverage, this position may be required to work hours outside of a regular schedule. #ITatIDA
* Manages the implementation of IT technology initiatives. Provides formal project management documentation and partners with junior staff to ensure the successful deployment and transition of operational support to junior administrators.
* Conducts systems analyses and research to develop integration plans for new systems and software in order to ensure compatibility with the current IT infrastructure and changing technologies.
* Ensures all systems meet or exceed the business and security requirements in accordance with IDA and Sponsor directives and guidelines.
* Mentors junior staff on work assignments to ensure project schedules are maintained.
* Prepares technical documentation, to include standard operating procedures and processes.
* Develops resolutions to a diverse range of complex problems. Coordinates resources to resolve problems when necessary.
* Administers and maintains classified and unclassified systems and services to ensuring optimum performance, availability, security and functionality.
* Installs and configures Linux on desktop and server systems. Builds new physical and virtual systems to design specifications and follows proper disposal procedures for retired systems.
* Installs and manages VMware virtual servers.
* Applies patches, updates system software, and maintains configuration control. Conducts regular system maintenance to include monitoring, tuning, capacity planning, and adjusting configurations as necessary to resolve problems, minimize downtime, and to enhance capabilities.
* Automates system administration tasks.
* Manages user accounts and assists users with their computing needs.
* Writes and maintains scripts written in shell, Perl, PHP and other languages.
* Assists with the administration and maintenance of HPC systems.
* Maintains technical proficiency in new IT technologies; keeps abreast of industry trends, and makes recommendations to improve or advance services and system performance.
* Communicates all computer network, system and service problems and outages immediately to the Supervisor, IT Systems.
* Responds to critical after hours support issues.
* Performs other duties as assigned.
* Bachelor of Science degree in Computer Science or related field coupled with six years minimum experience in Information Technology, which includes at least four years in systems administration OR high school diploma with eight years minimum experience in Information Technology, which includes at least four years in systems administration.
* Possess advanced knowledge in designing, administering, and supporting servers, systems, and software, for both Linux and Windows.
* Must be organized, self-motivated and able to work with minimal supervision.
* Ability to communicate effectively in both written and verbal form and with all levels of employees; possess good interpersonal skills.
* Project management experience desired.
* Must be willing to work hours outside of a regular schedule.
* Project ability to obtain and maintain Top Secret/SCI security clearance with lifestyle polygraph. Current TS/SCI with lifestyle polygraph clearance preferred.
* Ability to obtain and maintain DOD 8570 IAT II certification.