id Software, part of the ZeniMax Media Inc. family of companies, is seeking a talented Systems Designer to join our team in making AAA games.
The Gameplay Systems Designer will be responsible for working with Lead Designers and Game Directors to plan, prototype and build systems that directly apply to a 1st person action game. Design responsibilities include but are not limited to enemy AI, player navigation, weapons and tools. These responsibilities require a high degree of knowledge and experience between code and content, as well as showing demonstrable on-screen progress from concept to ship. Both theory and hands on work will be required.
* Promote collaboration amongst designers, programmers and directors.
* Objectively breakdown system design principles and provide feedback when appropriate.
* Work with the Lead Designer and Directors to ensure all gameplay systems meet the project's needs.
* Employ rapid prototypes and regular onscreen deliverables of all systems from paper to ship.
* Coordinate closely with AI programmers and LD's to communicate the goals and specific needs of various combat and gameplay systems and provide regular updates to all related systems.
* Under minimal supervision, design, adapt and scope features to the needs of production, the technical constraints of the project and the overall gameplay goals.
* Evaluate and initiate processes and features needed to improve and streamline any gameplay systems related production.
* Maintain, test and iterate system-based features from concept phase to final tuning for an award winning game.
* Document game mechanics and features quickly, clearly and concisely in a provided specification format to serve as a resource for other designers in the studio to understand the various design concepts and the decisions made that support them.
* 5+ years of game design experience.
* At least 2 AAA projects shipped for current gen consoles in a systems design capacity.
* Clear analytical thinker with a proven ability to break gameplay design down into regular, reusable systems and articulate and document them.
* Understanding of gameplay system constraints as well as an understanding of game engine architecture and custom toolsets.
* Able to deliver assets within the confines of real time engine constraints and programming demand.
* Experience tuning particular game systems required for difficulty, pacing and balance.
* Ability to conceptualize, present, and execute ideas within a schedule, while actively participating in technical and design problem solving in engine.
* Active interest in current industry trends as it relates to game design for 1st person action games.
* Ability to work closely with all project disciplines to ensure clear communication, troubleshooting and efficiency.
* Excellent knowledge of game design theory and principles of what it takes to make a blockbuster title.
* Working knowledge of C++
* Understanding of Visual Layout Game Editors
* Any pre-packaged development kit experience
About Zenimax Media
ZeniMax is a media company connecting game developers, artists, designers, programmers, and talents to create entertainment content.