SOUTH COAST AQMD AND JOB OVERVIEW
ABOUT SOUTH COAST AQMD:
South Coast Air Quality Management District (South Coast AQMD) is one of the largest and most technologically sophisticated environmental regulatory agencies in the nation. We serve a four-county region that includes all of Orange County, and parts of Los Angeles, Riverside and San Bernardino counties, home to approximately 17 million people. South Coast AQMD's headquarters is located in Diamond Bar, 30 miles east of downtown Los Angeles, at the junction of the 57 and 60 freeways. With a highly diverse and dedicated "Clean Air Team" of over 900 budgeted positions, an annual budget (FY 2019-20) of $170.9 million, South Coast AQMD's mission is to protect public health from air pollution through a comprehensive program of planning, regulation, education, enforcement, compliance incentives, technical innovation and promotion of public understanding of air quality issues.
ABOUT THE POSITION
An exciting opportunity exists for two Systems Analysts in the IT Services and Systems & Programming unit of our Information Management (IM) department. These positions will appeal to individuals with strong interpersonal and analytical skills needed to provide mission-critical support for South Coast AQMD's suite of complex business and scientific software systems. The selected individuals will lead and participate in the design and development of enterprise-wide, high-scale, n-tier Web-, mobile and Windows-based applications using the latest Microsoft ASP.NET, open source technologies; expansion of e-government and e-commerce infrastructure; implementation of new architectures and technologies; and maintenance of an existing suite of web, web services, web API and mobile applications, and the supporting SOA infrastructure as well as other legacy client/server applications.
EXAMPLE OF DUTIES
Consults with divisional personnel on their needs and objectives and conduct detailed analysis to study the existing functions and systems in order to determine the feasibility and application of data processing techniques; coordinates and translates requirements into logical, economical and practical system design.
Responds to Systems and Programming Action Requests by preparing feasibility study reports; initiates, coordinates and prepares preliminary design and program specification documents; performs coding and debugging, unit and system testing, and implementation and documentation activities; studies problems relating to the interflow of data or common use of data among several divisions and develops compatible systems.
Provides professional and administrative support in the general areas of scientific applications, business applications and database security; performs professional and administrative tasks related to the maintenance of South Coast AQMD's databases.
Serves as system manager, overseeing day to day operations, scheduling maintenance and repair and updating and maintaining system software; oversees the flow of software to and from production; acts as project leader; evaluates operational systems developed and designed by other analysts and recommends improvements.
Analyzes and evaluates existing data processing procedures and makes recommendations to improve division operations affiliated with a specific system under study; defines problems, prepares flow charts and draws block diagrams to indicate essential data processing operations; confers with programming staff and user divisions for resolution of problems.
Assists the Systems and Programming Manager in the evaluation of software packages in order to utilize internal programming resources in a cost-effective manner; review and evaluate new and existing programs; and plan and schedule input/output and support activities.
MINIMUM AND DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS
In addition to the Minimum Qualifications which follow, the most competitive candidates will also possess:
* A degree in computer science, operations research, business or management information systems, or a related field.
* Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, demonstrated ability to critical thinking, problem solving and self-learning.
* Journey-level professional systems analyst training and experience that demonstrates extensive knowledge of distributed application design and architecture, service-oriented architecture (SOA) utilizing the ASP.NET framework and other open-source technologies.
* Demonstrated knowledge of latest architecture patterns and technologies such as MVC, SOA, JS Frameworks and libraries, CSS, HTML5, Web Services, Web API, etc.
* Knowledge of both relational and Non-SQL databases.
* Knowledge of cloud based computing such as Microsoft Azure, AWS, etc.
* Knowledge of web server and networking technologies for data access and security.
* Knowledge and experience of operating systems and environments including Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, Linux, UNIX.
* Knowledge and experience with GIS and mapping technology and concepts using tools such as Esri ArcGIS enterprise and/or ArcGIS online.
* Knowledge of and experience with Sitefinity and/or Drupal web content management systems.
* Knowledge of and experience with Microsoft SharePoint collaboration tool (especially Foundation and Designer)
* Knowledge and experience with Enterprise Resource Planning software.
* Experience with migrating applications from client-server to n-tier and/or web-based web-scale cloud computing architecture.
* Ability to provide software solutions involving systems analysis and design, application programming, and database modeling; ability to analyze user needs, propose alternative solutions and determine system specifications; capability of ensuring system integrity and efficiency while developing user friendly interfaces.
* Knowledge of and experience with Project Management concepts, tools and technologies.
* Knowledge of and experience with Software Development Life Cycle practices such as Agile Methodologies, Scrum, etc.
* Knowledge of and experience with Workflow & Business Process Management.
* Ability to work effectively with vendors, contractors, programmers and technical and non-technical staff.
EDUCATION: Evidence of the required knowledge and abilities may be demonstrated, in part, by graduation from an accredited college or university with a major emphasis in computer sciences, operations research, business or management information systems, organizational analysis, or a related field.
SUBSTITUTION: A master's degree in one of the above or related fields may substitute for some of the professional experience.
KNOWLEDGE OF: Principles, methods and techniques of systems analysis and design; capabilities, operation and utilization of computer systems and related equipment; computer languages and software evaluation; project and program planning and coordination techniques, scheduling and control; technical report writing practices; computer system scientific and business applications including organizational functions, structures and reporting relationships and budgetary and accounting systems; general scientific and technical fields including physics, chemistry and mathematics; statistical methods and techniques; and research, analysis and data gathering techniques.
ABILITY TO: Analyze technical data and situations, reason logically, draw valid conclusions and develop effective solutions to system problems; coordinate system requirements into logical, economical and practical system design; systematically study, analyze and review present and projected data processing requirements of user divisions; serve as a liaison between Information Systems Division and user divisions, providing a wide range of professional and administrative support services; evaluate and prepare recommendations related to the acquisition of computer software; perform a wide range of professional and administrative systems management functions; analyze, interpret and apply a wide variety of rules, regulations, guidelines and policies; establish and maintain effective working relationships with South Coast AQMD staff and others; communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, and prepare and present oral and written technical reports and recommendations; coordinate the work of Information Systems Division staff, user division staff and consultants; and maintain required confidentiality on carrying out assigned responsibilities. OTHER IMPORTANT INFORMATION
APPLICATION PACKETS MUST INCLUDE:
* A completed employment application along with an attached resume covering at least the past 10 years of employment, listing separately, each position you have held.
* Four references which include the names and phone numbers of your present and past supervisor or managers, or persons for who you have directly provided services, not peers.
* Responses to the Supplemental Questionnaire (SQ). The SQ is a form of written test, and will be evaluated as such. Your responses should be well written, clear, concise, and directly responsive to all parts of each question. Please limit your responses to no more than one page per answer.
* If you claim education on your application, an unofficial copy of your transcripts, documenting all qualifying education and/or occupational training claimed, must be submitted as an attachment to your online application. Official transcripts will be requested at a later date.
Job applications must be completely filled out; a resume cannot be substituted for the required information. For this recruitment we are requiring BOTH a completed application and resume. Be sure to detail any education, training or other relevant coursework that would make you a particularly strong candidate.
THE SELECTION PROCESS
Application packages and Supplemental Questionnaires will first be screened and the most competitively qualified candidates will be invited to the next step of the process, which is expected to be a hiring interview.
The Supplemental Questionnaire reviews (weighted at 100%) are expected to result in an unranked eligible list, with names in alphabetical order, from which current and future vacancies at this level, requiring a similar background, may be filled during the six-month life of the list.
Only those who demonstrate they are among the most competitively qualified, at each successive step of the selection process, will be advanced to the next step. (Meeting the minimum requirements does not guarantee an invitation to the next step.) South Coast AQMD reserves the right to add, delete, and modify any elements of the selection process as deemed appropriate, based on the number and quality of applicants at each step.
Please call Human Resources at least one week in advance if you might need an accommodation at any time during the selection process.
If you have any questions regarding this recruitment, please contact Human Resources at (909)396-2800.