University of California
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's most iconic teaching and research institutions. Since 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world. Berkeley's culture of openness, freedom and acceptance-academic and artistic, political and cultural-make it a very special place for students, faculty and staff.
Berkeley is committed to hiring and developing staff who want to work in a high performing culture that supports the outstanding work of our faculty and students. In deciding whether to apply for a staff position at Berkeley, candidates are strongly encouraged to consider the alignment of the Berkeley Workplace Culture with their potential for success at http://jobs.berkeley.edu/why-berkeley.html.
The Division of Student Affairs advances the learning and personal growth of students by providing leadership, services, and opportunities that enable students to succeed in and contribute to a diverse and global society. Student Affairs Information Technologies (SAIT), a department within the Division, provides and supports the technology and computing services for the Division. SAIT supports many of the services provided to students, the Division of Student Affairs, and the university community.
SAIT consists of 30+ full-time career staff and over 70+ student part-time staff. The department is organized into six teams: Student Technologies, Portfolio and Project Management, Application Development, Systems, Operations, and Information Security.
The Operations team within Student Affairs Information Technologies is responsible for the management of the production environments and infrastructure that support the business needs of the Division of Student Affairs. This team is responsible for Linux, Unix and Windows server administration, file server storage management, database administration, active directory management, firewall management, networking installation and configuration, server security, system backups, and monitoring of services for availability.
This positions involves developing and maintaining the security of data and systems as the primary responsibility of the position. Plans, designs, develops, implements and maintains systems and programs to insure the integrity, reliability and security of data and systems.
* Serves as a senior-level Systems Administrator on the team
* Applies advanced systems/infrastructure concepts to define, design and implement highly complex systems involving server operating systems, networking, firewalls, databases, and other technologies.
* Automate redundant tasks via scripting or other tools where appropriate to increase staff availability for other projects
* Maintains virtualized VMware server environment and Nimble SAN (storage) for Division of Student Affairs.
* Supports Windows based server operating systems, including Microsoft Active Directory Group Policy Object management. Performs daily reviews of server logs to identify potential service issues.
* Supports desktop engineering and database administration in support of the Division of Student Affairs - to include Oracle, Postgres and Microsoft SQL
* Researches, analyzes and addresses attempted efforts to compromise security protocols.
* Proposes and implements highly complex system enhancements (software and hardware updates) that will improve the performance and reliability of the system. Manages centralized servers and makes recommendations for purchase or upgrade of new server hardware.
* Conducts highly complex systems programming and systems support activities, interacting with senior internal and external personnel. May lead a team of systems/infrastructure professionals.
* Participate in project teams in deployment of custom applications and vendor applications into development, QA, and production environments.
* Supports Network Engineering team on an advisory basis as needed
* Maintain/create firewall rules. Performs frequent review of firewall rules and makes recommendations for improvement
* Executes security control to prevent hackers from infiltrating campus information. Maintains security systems for routers and switches. Administers security policies to control access to systems.
* Directly and indirectly supervises a student team in collaboration with the Student Leadership Coordinator and the student leads; participates in the annual cycle of recruitment, hiring and training; shares responsibility for developing and sustaining a strong student leadership program.
* Maintains a positive relationship with other departments and personnel that will assist in the development, funding, promotion, and/or public relations of the Division of Student Affairs and SAIT. Supports the success and objectives of SAIT.
* Identifies and selects training opportunities for professional development. Participates in cross-functional group discussions, activities and other training efforts.
* Adheres to University and departmental policies, procedures, and professional practices as well as city, state, and federal laws. Also responsible for adherence to UC Berkeley's Data Classification Standard, Minimum Security Standards for Networked Devices and Minimum Security Standards for Electronic Information.
* Other duties as assigned.
* Must have significant experience in IT/Systems Administration roles
* Extensive experience troubleshooting and resolving complex technical and non-technical problems
* Extensive experience managing Windows server operating systems
* Experience managing Active Directory and Group Policies in an enterprise environment
* Experience with enterprise system virtualization and storage (VMware and/or Nimble preferred)
* Experience with scripting languages (PowerShell preferred)
* Knowledge of Information Security best practices
* Knowledge of networking fundamentals
* Working knowledge of database systems (Microsoft SQL or Oracle SQL preferred)
* Able to work independently or as part of a team with little supervision
* Able to adapt to and learn new technical concepts quickly
* Must be able to communicate technical information in a clear and concise manner across the organization and at varying levels, both technical and non-technical
* Bachelors degree in related area and/or equivalent experience/training
* Experience with Unix & Linux server administration (RedHat preferred)
* Experience with system imaging and patch management
* Experience with Configuration Management technologies such as BigFix, SCCM, or Puppet
* Knowledge of campus and departmental processes and procedures
* Experience with ID card and access systems such as CS Gold
* ITIL V3 Foundations training and certification
Salary & Benefits
The salary range for this position is $105,000 - $120,000, commensurate with experience.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
About University of California
University of California is a public research university system.