What you'll be doing...
The individual will be responsible for the OpenEdge network control stack system administration in support of a Software Defined Wide Area Network (SD-WAN). This position includes responsibilities to research, engineer and build the OpenEdge network control systems while monitoring the system availability and health. The position will require exercising independent judgement to lead the OpenEdge operations system administration process and procedures. The individual must be detail oriented, think critically to solve issues in real-time and focused on the goal of maximizing customer uptime and minimizing impact.
* Lead the engineering and operations functions for the RedHat Linux systems in a geographically redundant architecture to provide maximum network uptime and availability.
* Own the process to determine system sizing requirements for new software installations of control stack software. This includes RedHat servers and Ciena software for control of the OpenEdge network.
* Provide leadership by owning the engineering process of the server hardware lifecycle and upgrades.
* Lead new OpenEdge deployments by engaging in the software upgrade process as new OpenEdge software versions are released.
* Maintain RedHat system software versions, licenses and patching levels.
* Develop best practices for system and software installation.
* Monitor and maintain server capacity and availability by ensuring system survivability through failures and reboots.
* Troubleshoot OpenEdge software issues to resolve and restore system functionality.
* Review system logs, determine errors and work with the development team to resolve issues quickly.
* Make necessary changes to system software and databases to ensure system reliability.
* Partner with security teams to build appropriate security measures into the operating system and control stack.
* Create and maintain system backups and restoration processes.
* Monitor system performance by creating daily health checks for all OpenEdge systems including Ciena control software to detect, troubleshoot, mitigate and repair system events.
* Partner with the network operations team to quickly identify and resolve service affecting issues.
* Provide Tier2 level support to the network operations team including training regarding alarming, troubleshooting and resolution of system events.
* Provide training to team members and peers by being the subject matter expert on OpenEdge back end systems.
* Ticket creation, tracking and escalation of system events.
* Develop, maintain and update the system KPIs and alarms.
* Engage with the Development team and Ciena to drive the operational roadmap.
What we're looking for...
You'll need to have:
* Bachelor's degree or four or more years of work experience.
* Four or more years of relevant work experience.
Even better if you have:
* A degree.
* Three or more years of experience in Linux server administration.
* Operational experience with RedHat and Ciena products (Blueplanet, VWAN, OneControl).
* Experience in coding and automation.
* IP networking experience.
* Troubleshooting experience in a production RedHat environment.
* Excellent problem solving and analytical skills.
* SD-WAN experience.
* Experience in Python.
* Carrier Ethernet, Webserver and DNS experience.
When you join Verizon...
You'll be doing work that matters alongside other talented people, transforming the way people, businesses and things connect with each other. Beyond powering America's fastest and most reliable network, we're leading the way in broadband, cloud and security solutions, Internet of Things and innovating in areas such as, video entertainment. Of course, we will offer you great pay and benefits, but we're about more than that. Verizon is a place where you can craft your own path to greatness. Whether you think in code, words, pictures or numbers, find your future at Verizon.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer- and celebrate our employees' differences,including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. Different makes us better.
Verizon Communications (formerly Bell Atlantic) is a company providing communications, information, and entertainment products and services.