Why choose between doing meaningful work and having a fulfilling life? At MITRE, you can have both. That's because MITRE people are committed to tackling our nation's toughest challenges-and we're committed to the long-term well-being of our employees. MITRE is different from most technology companies. We are a not-for-profit corporation chartered to work for the public interest, with no commercial conflicts to influence what we do. The R&D centers we operate for the government create lasting impact in fields as diverse as cybersecurity, healthcare, aviation, defense, and enterprise transformation. We're making a difference every day-working for a safer, healthier, and more secure nation and world.
MITRE's Advanced Technical Computing Center department provides engineering expertise to a variety of projects utilizing Windows and *NIX systems across a variety of infrastructure platforms. This includes development and prototyping of configuration management systems for operating systems and applications, IdAM, and continuous monitoring. Our environments typically consist of hybrid platforms (on-prem/cloud), large storage systems (SAN/NAS), databases (RDBMs/NOSQL), hardware/software-defined networks, infrastructure automation, application/web development, and security-monitoring applications. Our organization also is involved with big data architecture and cloud computing. Our department builds the big data/cloud architectures, then write/install/integrate applications that make these architectures successful for our sponsors.
The key functions of this role will include:
* Provide systems engineering and support to senior staff on infrastructure prototype projects in our dynamic computer laboratory environment.
* Set up, conduct, and document performance/evaluation tests for experiments.
* Develop new processes or environments to ingest various data sets, clean them, and export them in a usable manner to sponsors.
* Develop/modify/maintain systems, security, and implementation documentation.
* Deploy COTS/GOTS software applications, including databases, information system models and simulations.
* Learn and apply the fundamentals of system engineering to laboratory systems.
* Provide "security by design" systems engineering knowledge and expertise.
* Bachelor's degree in computer science, math, engineering, or an associated field
* Basic use of Linux, Windows, or other UNIX flavors: CentOS, RedHat, Ubuntu, Mac OS X
* Two or more years of hands on experience with basic computer networking and routing.
* Programming in at least 1 of the following languages: C, C++, Perl, Python, Java, shell scripts
* Troubleshooting basic internet protocols (DNS, DDNS, DHCP, BOOTP, SMTP, S/FTP, HTTP/S, NFS, CIFS/SMB, PKI, TCP, UDP)
* Basic experience using at least 1 of the following databases: MySQL, SQL, Oracle, MarkLogic
* Basic use of virtualization technology such as VMware, Openstack
* Candidate must have the ability to obtain and maintain at TS/SCI Polygraph clearance.
* Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or Computer Engineering or similar field.