What you'll be doing...
The System Engineer is responsible for the day-to-day system management of the security infrastructure. This infrastructure is used 24x7 to monitor and management the security of our customers. You will stay on top of recent system administration developments, work as part of a team of other System Engineers handling automation, configuration, deployment, patching, backups, auditing, and other such tasks. As a successful System Engineer, you need to interact with other departments like development and the operational team.
* Ongoing maintenance of system infrastructure
* Oversee patching and upgrades, system configuration, and testing
* System troubleshooting and excellent problem solving skills
* Provide optimal customer service to both internal and external customers.
* Perform tasks independently and participate in cross-functional projects.
* Ensure systems are at their peak performance.
* Provide support to a varied user community in multiple time zones.
* Compose clear and concise reports for system documentation.
* Work effectively with others, as an individual contributor, in a team environment.
What we're looking for...
You'll need to have:
* Associate's degree or two or more years of work experience.
* Three or more years of relevant work experience.
* Linux\Unix administration experience, including the security aspects of these operating systems.
* Ability to obtain a US government clearance.
* Willingness to work a flexible schedule, including nights and weekends as necessary.
Even better if you have:
* Bachelor's degree in a Computer Science / MIS field or in a relevant technical field.
* Knowledge of SSH, NFS, DNS, LDAP, Kerberos and other commonly used protocols in system administration.
* Knowledge of networking (TCP/IP, routing).
* Experience with scripting (Unix shell scripts, Perl, python, etc.).
* Experience with enterprise virtualization products (VMware, Hyper-V, KVM, etc.).
* Experience with IT automation products (Puppet, Chef, Ansible, Salt, etc.).
* Experience with Big Data OSS products (Hadoop, ElasticSearch, Flume, etc.).
* Experience with Enterprise storage products (NetApp, EMC, etc.).
* Capable and willing to acquire in-depth knowledge of open source and proprietary software which is used to deliver service to our customers.
* Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
* Ability to follow strict procedures and be disciplined in installation, documentation, event handling, and change control.
* Ability to learn new technologies quickly as needed.
* Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
* Ability to build positive working relationships with internal and external users and customers.
When you join Verizon...
You'll be doing work that matters alongside other talented people, transforming the way people, businesses and things connect with each other. Beyond powering America's fastest and most reliable network, we're leading the way in broadband, cloud and security solutions, Internet of Things and innovating in areas such as, video entertainment. Of course, we will offer you great pay and benefits, but we're about more than that. Verizon is a place where you can craft your own path to greatness. Whether you think in code, words, pictures or numbers, find your future at Verizon.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer- and celebrate our employees' differences,including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. Different makes us better.
Verizon Communications (formerly Bell Atlantic) is a company providing communications, information, and entertainment products and services.