Do you like helping U.S. Intelligence Community agencies implement innovative cloud computing solutions and solve technical problems? Would you like to do this using the latest cloud computing technologies? Do you have a knack for helping these groups understand application architectures and integration approaches, and the consultative and leadership skills to launch a project on a trajectory to success?
Amazon is seeking a Linux/Unix Systems Administrator/Engineer with the ability to automate day to day tasks and develop/build software and/or services from the ground up. A good candidate must have strong Linux/Unix Systems Administration knowledge, including shell scripting, and a proficiency in at least one development language. They must be able to think at "Amazon scale" to solve problems in permanent, sustainable, and scalable ways. With an eye toward utilizing the best solution over the quickest solution.
At Amazon scale, Network Engineers rely on an ever increasing number of tools to manage thousands of network devices that support AWS services. Our Systems Team manages the hundreds of tools/services and components that the Network Engineers rely on to keep the network operational. This includes systems that track loss and incident correlation, scaling and building of new and existing network devices, and a full suite of monitoring tools. Many of these tools provided integrations with one another to give a broad to in depth view of the status of the network and aid in troubleshooting.
The Systems Development Engineers on the team are responsible for maintaining the network tools/systems described above within US GovCloud and other US Government air gapped regions. This includes troubleshooting problems with systems and services, regular deployment of new versions of the systems and their subcomponents, deployment/system validation and testing, service monitoring, standing up new services/tools, etc. The team works with many different internal Software Development teams to drive improvement of the systems/services within the team's scope. It is important to be able to work collaboratively and independently to investigate and document issues and create solutions to solve them at scale.
* Calmly and quickly diagnose and fix critical systems failures in high pressure situations?
* Manage and grow innovative, production-quality tools to solve real operational problems, in Python, Perl, Ruby, Shell, Java, etc.?
* Investigate complicated technical issues scientifically and thoroughly, and assist in fixing them so they don't come back?
* Understand how a modern, cloud-hosted application stack works from top to bottom?
* Know how to provide technical solutions to real business problems in a global organization?
If you're a customer-focused System/DevOps Engineer who would like to contribute to a critical success story, we would love to hear from you! Over a million customers rely on Amazon Web Services (AWS) network for building and running their applications and businesses. Our customers success depends on our world-class network infrastructure, and our network depends on our systems team!
* Must be able to work in a 24x7 team on call rotation, with ability to drive into workplace for critical events/needs.
* The ability to sit in front of computer during scheduled work hours with appropriate breaks while maintaining a high level of alertness and attention to detail.
* Travel to data center/systems sites and Amazon/customer offices as needed.
* Experience dealing with customers during problem resolution and operating efficiently under pressure.
This position requires that applicant selected be a U.S. citizen and obtain and maintain a TS/SCI US Government clearance with polygraph.
Position may be located in either Herndon, VA 20170 or Seattle, WA 98101. Relocation assistance would be offered (pending qualification guidelines).
Amazon is a company operating a marketplace for consumers, sellers, and content creators.