Position Summary: We are looking for dynamic leaders who can develop and drive technical solutions with our customers so that we grow our share in traditional L-3 ISR Systems markets and expand to new application spaces and expanded roles in systems development. The position requires a combination of engineering and business development skills to craft advanced solutions to complex problems, capture funding necessary for development of innovative sensors and systems and help guide the successful development of industry-leading products. The successful candidate will be required to be located in Plano, TX.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The following reflects management's definition of essential functions for this job but does not restrict the tasks that may be assigned.
* Develop an in-depth understanding of technology and capability gaps, for conventional and non-conventional customers, where L-3 has or can obtain a competitive advantage. This requires establishing and maintaining excellent relationships with customers and prospective customers.
* Develop and maintain strong working relationships with cross-functional staffs within L-3 SS and in other L-3 segments as appropriate to leverage L-3 technology and product investments.
* Collaborate with L-3 colleagues to conceptualize system architectures, define key capabilities, performance requirements, system implementation approaches and operational concepts.
* Maintain and continually update awareness and knowledge of the industry to best advise the L-3 SS-AP team on current and future market trends and developments.
* Identify potential strategic technology partners, alliances and relationships to enhance/expand core product lines and/or to create new product lines.
* Identify, prioritize, and pursue R&D funds to meet strategic technical objectives and revenue targets.
* Support or lead proposal efforts, from strategy development through final review.
* Contribute to strategic planning, including definition of technology and product roadmaps; also includes identification of new business acquisition and capital expenditures needed to achieve strategic goals/objectives.
* Oversee/guide development of advanced sensor systems to ensure that technical, programmatic, and cost objectives are met, thereby meeting or exceeding customer and L-3 SS-AP objectives.
Technical Knowledge/Skills/Abilities Required:
Military/aerospace experience is required in multiple areas.
* Working knowledge and experience using at least one industry standard system architecture tool suite (Enterprise Architect, STK, System, Architect, or equivalent) strongly preferred
* Air/ground/sea sensors, fire control, surveillance/reconnaissance systems, IRSTs, Directed Energy, and EOCM
* Weapons development with emphasis on seekers and terminal guidance
* Multi-mode threat detection sensors (including buried and concealed threats)
* Platform integration and test
* Hardware/software development experience from requirements through customer testing
* Working knowledge of modern simulation-based methods as a key part of the product development process
* Analytical skills desired in one or more of the following: sensor performance, image and signal processing, stabilization, guidance and control or target phenomenology exploitation
* Generation/presentation of persuasive technical narratives
* Program/project management
* Proposal identification, prioritization, pursuit and generation
Technical Acumen - demonstrated through successful product and systems development experiences involving complex sensor components, sub-systems, and systems such as optics, visible/infrared detector arrays, detector cryogenic cooling, digital/analog video and signal processing electronics, solid-state lasers, radars, ladars, pointing and stabilization instruments and control algorithms, and search/track and image reconstruction/exploitation algorithms and software
Requirements Development - demonstrated ability to enter the customer's environment, find out how the customer will use the system, and translate that voice of customer into requirements and trade-offs that can be evaluated via alternative designs; additional skill in successfully influencing system requirements at the end customer desired.
Creative Solutions - direct contribution to technical solutions that integrate multiple disciplines or technologies into non-obvious system architectures that provide meaningfully unique and differentiated capability; requires understanding of current and proposed competitive solutions, key performance indicators, and end-user mission objectives as well as understanding of interplay between technologies and engineering design
* Able to sit for prolonged periods and use a computer/keyboard
* Able to use standard office equipment
* Able to lift 10 pounds and reach for items on shelves
* Typical office environment
* Fast paced, schedule-driven environment
* Willing and able to work extended hours when necessary
* Travel required (25-50%)
* Minimum of 15 years' experience in the development of advanced sensors and systems for military applications
* Minimum of 10 years' experience in an engineering role on advanced sensor development programs, with progressive advancement in responsibilities leading to program management and/or technical leadership roles
* Minimum of 10 years' experience supporting/leading business development pursuits with a successful track record in capturing funds and meeting targets
* Bachelor's degree in engineering (Master's degree desired in engineering, technology management or business management)
* Demonstrated ability to lead cross-functional teams in advanced technology development and business development pursuits
* Demonstrated ability to create innovative solutions ̶ with clear competitive advantages ̶ to complex problems
* Excellent written and oral communication/presentation skills; able to present complex technology concepts in a clear and effective manner
* Must possess the following additional skills: organization and planning, problem analysis and problem-solving, team-leadership, formal presentation, persuasiveness, adaptability, innovation, judgment, decision-making, stress tolerance, collaboration, self-motivation
* Ability to obtain a secret clearance
L-3 Technologies is a prime contractor in Command, Control, Communications, Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance (C3ISR) systems, aircraft modernization and maintenance, and government services. L-3 is also a leading provider of a broad range of electronic systems used on military and commercial platforms. Our customers include the U.S. Department of Defense and its prime contractors, U.S. Government intelligence agencies, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Department of State, U.S. Department of Justice, allied foreign governments, domestic and foreign commercial customers and select other U.S. federal, state and local government agencies.
L-3 Sensor Systems Overview
L-3 ISR Systems business segment is comprised of the following business units: Advanced Laser System Technology (ALST), Brashear, CALZONI, Chesapeake Sciences Corporation (CSC), Cincinnati Electronics, L-3 EO/IR, EOTech, ForceX, Insight Technology, KEO, MariPro, Micreo, Mobile-Vision, Ocean Systems, Oceania, Ocean Server, Sonoma EO, SSG, TRL Technology, Warrior Systems and WESCAM.
Equal Opportunity Employer - minorities / females / veterans / individuals with disabilities / sexual orientation / gender identity.
About L3 Technologies
L3 Technologies (formerly known as L-3 Communications) is a company developing pilot training, aviation security, night vision, weapons, maritime systems, and space solutions.