Do you like challenging problems?
Do you like working with diverse technical systems?
Are you experienced in Navy operations?
If so, we're looking for someone like you to join our team at APL.
We are seeking a Surface Warfare (SUW) Systems Engineer to help us lead and participate in the development and design of future advanced SUW systems. You get to work as a trusted Technical Direction Agent working with the government and the combat systems engineering agent to integrate diverse capabilities. You will be a recognized subject matter expert (SME) within the lab on SUW issues, including tactical employment.
As a Surface Warfare Systems Engineer... Your primary responsibility will be to participate in the integration of diverse sensors and weapons systems to create the future Navy SUW combat system.
* Provide systems engineering expertise and develop system requirements for next-generation SUW systems. (40%)
* Participate in the development, integration and analysis of defensive and offensive Surface Warfare systems, to include all phases of the SUW Kill Chain (Find-Fix-Track-Target-Engage-Assess) in order to achieve increased operational effectiveness. (40%)
* Provide technical contributions and leadership in the integration of SUW systems onto Navy platforms. (20%)
You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you...
* Have a BS or equivalent degree in Engineering, Mathematics, Physics or a closely related discipline
* Have at least 3 years of related professional and/or operational experience in surface warfare combat systems.
* Have at least 2 year's experience conducting performance analysis, systems integration, or requirements engineering activities for DoD systems.
* Have strong oral and written communication skills.
* Have strong organizational skills and an ability to multi-task.
* Are willing and able to support 15% local travel and 5% travel within CONUS. Occasional opportunity to ride USN ships and work at US Navy testing sites around the country.
* Hold an active Secret security clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
* Are able to obtain Top Secret level security clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
You'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you...
* Have an MS in systems engineering or a closely related discipline.
* Have at least 6 years of professional experience in surface warfare or related fields.
* Have active duty experience in operational use of Navy combat systems.
* Have experience in developing weapons systems and tactics.
* Have experience in the design, experimentation and validation, or systems engineering applied to SUW systems.
* Have experience with NAVSEA Defense Acquisition Programs.
* Have demonstrated ability to effectively lead technical projects with previous project management experience.
* Hold an active top secret clearance.
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation's most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. With a wide selection of challenging, impactful work and a robust education assistance program, APL promotes a culture of life-long learning. Our employees enjoy generous benefits and healthy work/life balance. APL's campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities at www.jhuapl.edu/careers.
APL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.