Supervisor, Business Analytics & Finanical Applications
Applicants are advised that relocation of our Washington, D.C. metropolitan area offices is in progress, from offices near the White House and in Herndon, Virginia, to Capitol Hill and Tysons, Virginia. Anticipate completion in summer 2019.
The Air Line Pilots Association, International (ALPA), the largest airline pilot union in the world and the largest non-governmental aviation safety organization in the world (representing over 62,000 pilots at 33 U.S. and Canadian airlines) seeks an experienced Supervisor, Business Analytics & Financial Applications for our Herndon/Tysons, Virginia, office. As a key member of ALPA's IT organization, the Business Analytics & Financial Applications Supervisor leads a small team of analysts focused on leading, planning, reviewing, and running big data and advanced analytics initiatives, data integration/engineering, business intelligence, data warehousing, and data lakes. S/he is responsible for planning, organizing, leading, managing projects, and motivating his/her team to achieve a high level of performance and quality delivering the financial applications infrastructure that provides exceptional value to the Association. As such, s/he provides overall direction across the team, successfully delivers projects, and leads the initiatives for and performance of ALPA's financial business applications, including supervision of financial application(s) projects and support activities.
In addition to process improvement and financial platform vendor management, success in this position requires skill in the selection and deployment of cost-effective technology solutions and the ability to rapidly understand the inner-workings and logic of existing financial applications, effectively supporting and leading the team in the right direction.
Working closely with stakeholders, s/he will establish and drive the long-term Business Intelligence (BI) strategy and roadmap and manage the increasing demand for advanced analytics. The ideal candidate has a CPA, although it is not required. S/he also has an in-depth knowledge of financial applications from the IT perspective. Success in this position requires strong technical hands-on skills and experience, as well as the ability to build and establish close business relationships across the Association. Strong people and communication skills and a demonstrated ability to oversee multiple projects in a fast-paced and collaborative team environment are a definite plus.
Key responsibilities include:
* Supporting IT disciplines essential to the day-to-day business operations;
* Managing application integrations and data interfaces (Lawson Financials, Infor Expense Management, Ceridian Dayforce, data warehouse, and the like);
* Serving as a key driver on new technology initiatives and programs on behalf of IT, including big data, machine learning, and AI;
* Conducting research into new BI and analytical solutions for big data analytics and business intelligence;
* Serving as a strong advocate to improve analytical capability across the association;
* Communicating with various business areas, gathering and prioritizing their business requirements in line with the strategic goals of the Association;
* Supporting various reporting and BI solutions (reporting, dashboard, advanced analytics, and the like);
* Researching and evaluating new technologies related to financial platforms and integrations;
* Managing the full life cycle of development/reporting/integration projects: planning, design, developing, testing, and rollout;
* Managing solution(s) providers, defining sourcing approach; and,
* Managing a team of four and providing guidance.
Travel: 10 - 20%.
Minorities, veterans, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
* Bachelor's degree in relevant area, e.g., Computer Science, Information Technology, Business Administration, Finance, or related field, required from an accredited college or university; master's degree preferred; or, the equivalent combination of education and practical experience.
* Five (5) years of relevant previous experience required, eight (8) or more years strongly preferred.
* Background in accounting and financial analytics preferred.
* Experience with financial cloud services and cloud migration strategies a definite plus.
* Previous management experience successfully leading a team of direct reports.
* Proven track record effectively leading and managing employees, managing performance, setting goals for team/individuals, and providing mentoring.
* Demonstrated expertise in the related IT technology, i.e., application integrations, data interfaces, BI, data lakes, machine learning, and AI.
* Project management experience including delivering implementation projects for new solutions in complex environments with many involved parties (technical disciplines, IT, software vendors, outsourcing partners, end-users, stakeholders, and the like).
* Strong analytical, planning, and organizational skills with an ability to manage competing demands and multiple tasks concurrently.
* Strong interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills - including mentoring, coaching, collaborating, and team building - for effective interaction with contacts, internal and external.
* Proven ability to learn business processes quickly and to work well with partners at different levels within the organization.
* An ability to work independently in ambiguous situations and relate well to all levels of the Association is required.
* Software: Microsoft Word, Outlook, Excel, and PowerPoint required. MS Project and Visio knowledge a plus. Jira issue and project tracking software a definite plus.
* Certified Public Accountant (CPA) a plus.
Note: The physical demands described herein are characteristic of those that must be met to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential physical activities of this position described below.
Constantly operates a computer/smartphone/tablet. Regularly required to maintain a stationary position; move about the office; determine what others have said or written; and, converse with others and exchange accurate information.
Regularly required to sit, stand, bend, reach, and move about the office and travel (locally, nationally, and internationally). May also include occasional bending, stooping, squatting, and/or pushing and pulling or moving, e.g., to pack, unpack, and/or move cases.
Occasionally required to move, raise, reach, and/or retrieve binders, books, boxes, and files up to ten (10) pounds (lbs.). While on travel, could be responsible to move, raise, reach, and/or retrieve luggage weighing as much as 50 lbs. (Assistance may not always be available.)
Relocation not provided.
Sponsorship not available for this position.