Caterpillar is the world's leading manufacturer of construction and mining equipment, diesel and natural gas engines, industrial gas turbines and diesel-electric locomotives. We don't just build great products, we pair them with the newest digital technologies and analytics to solve problems and anticipate customer needs.
We are bringing our industry into the Age of Smart iron. A lasting legacy of talented and committed employees give Caterpillar its competitive edge. It is our team that has allowed this company to accomplish great things. From the construction of the Hoover Dam, to earthquake relief in Indonesia, our employees have never failed to give customers enduring results through superior service and innovation.
Software Engineer Intern will contribute to design, development and deployment of Caterpillar's state-of-the-art digital platform, work with an agile engineering team to provide computer programming assistance in the development of several software projects. Assist with the troubleshooting and deployment of the software projects.
Fall Intern Session;
August 19th, 2019 - December 6th, 2019.
Location; Caterpillar Simulation Center on the campus of the University of Illinois, Champaign, IL.
Spring Intern Session;
January 7th, 2020 - April 26th, 2020 - Caterpillar Simulation Center on the campus of the University of Illinois, Champaign, IL.
Summer Intern Session;
May 20th, 2020 - August 9th, 2020.
Location; Caterpillar - Downtown Chicago IL., Office.
* Completed second year of studies towards a bachelor of science degree in Computer or Software Engineering from accredited college or university.
* Working knowledge of Java and at least one of the scripting languages (Python, Ruby, PHP, etc.)
* Good understanding of cloud-based and Big Data technologies.
* Demonstrate solid knowledge of computer science fundamentals like data structures and algorithms.
* Work well under direction and be motivated self-starters. must be open and excited to learn new technologies., have strong communication skills
* Ability to work under pressure and within time constraints
* Passion for technology and an eagerness to contribute to a team-oriented environment
Top candidates will also have some experience with:
* Designing, developing, deploying and maintaining software at scale.
* Developing software applications using relational and Nosql databases.
* Application architectural patterns, such as MVC, Microservices, Event-driven, etc.
* Deploying software using CI/CD tools such as Jenkins, GoCD, Azure Devops etc.
* Deploying and maintaining software using public clouds such as AWS or Azure.
* Working within an Agile framework (ideally Scrum)
* Batch or stream processing systems such as Apache Spark, Flink, Akka, Storm
* Message brokers such as Kafka, RabbitMQ, AWS SQS, AWS SNS, Apache ActiveMQ, Kinesis.
* Test driven development and behavior driven development.
Caterpillar is proud of the role we play in building the world's infrastructure. The work we do drives progress for millions of people around the globe.
All qualified individuals - including minorities, females, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Caterpillar is not currently hiring individuals for this position who now or in the future require sponsorship for employment visa status; however, as a global company, Caterpillar offers many job opportunities outside of the U.S. which can be found through our employment website at www.caterpillar.com/careers.
Caterpillar is a manufacturer of construction and mining equipment, diesel and natural gas engines, industrial gas turbines, and diesel-electric locomotives.