PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITY: Serves as a key element within the Rackspace support infrastructure and has ownership of technical support for a designated customer base. Works with multiple Account teams to complement the goals and tasks of the business on a daily basis. Due to the 24x7 operations of the business, Enterprise System Engineers may occasionally require on-call coverage overnight and on weekends and holidays. Will be on-site a the assigned Rackspace Customer site.
* Thorough knowledge of Windows and Linux operating systems.
* Advanced knowledge of servers/computers hardware and software, DNS and networking fundamentals including diagnostics with tools specific to OS, bindings, DB, Security, etc.
* Strong troubleshooting skills; technically adept at resolving problems within skill level; when bringing in technical teams, can give them a concise starting point.
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills with ability to communicate technical issues to both nontechnical and technical audiences.
* JOB COMPLEXITY:
* Plan and execute project related work, including server, network, and data center migrations.
* Perform Quality Control passes and plan, as well as execute, complex maintenances.
* Deliver outstanding customer outcomes while working with new bleeding-edge technologies.
* Engage with manager, lead tech, and account manager daily to help coordinate workload.
* Design and troubleshoot network communications and solutions using various platforms.
* Install, configure, update, and troubleshoot services for customers:
* Linux and Windows OS
* Web server, database server, applications server, security, network, storage, HA/Clustering.
* Teach customers "how to fish" by advising on technical issues; this includes designing and implementing solutions to meet business needs, including advanced software and hardware updates, that will improve the performance and reliability of the system.
* Collaborate with fellow system administrators, engineers, and support team members by leading projects and creating/teaching technical coursework to junior team members.
* Provide Fanatical Support in all interactions.
* SUPERVISION: Receives little instruction on day-to-day work, and general instructions on new assignments.
* Bachelor's degree in computer science, engineering, or equivalent work experience preferred. High school diploma or equivalent required.
* 5+ years working in a computer technical field required
* 3+ years in an enterprise server environment required, additionally 2+ years in web hosting environment preferred.
* Technical certifications strongly preferred. including MSCE, RHCSA, and RHCE
* PHYSICAL DEMANDS: General office environment. May require long periods sitting and viewing a computer monitor. Moderate levels of stress may occur at times. No special physical demands required. Occasional domestic travel, less than 10%.