PlayStation isn't just the Best Place to Play -it's also the Best Place to Work. We've thrilled gamers since 1994, when we launched the original PlayStation. Today, we're recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment. The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
Staff Systems Engineer
San Diego, CA (Sorrento Valley)
You don't want to just "work" with technology, you live it. There are bytes and rocket fuel in your DNA. You want to make the impossible, possible so you can feed off the "oohs" and "ahhs" of your witnesses. It is your passion to look at the status quo and make it evolve into something efficient, bullet-proof… and glorious.
The Studio IT team is looking for a Staff Level Systems Engineer to join our dynamic group of Tech Superheroes in San Diego. This isn't a typical IT setting - this is PlayStation; where games come to be made. The technology that drives the gaming industry is fast-paced, chaotic, and relentless. We need an individual to lead the effort directly into the maelstrom where technology and creativity collide; to examine existing pipeline challenges, grok the deep storage and network practices of a multi-layer service group, and provide solutions to problems large and small. We believe in our cyborg souls that technology is the facilitator of the best gaming experience; help us get the tech out of the way, and be a part of an exciting, always-challenging environment.
Turn ideas into tangible products by focusing on a systematic approach to automation, resiliency, efficiency, stability, security, performance, and capacity management - as well as documentation. Serve as a subject matter expert through a variety of evangelical forums.
Understand the direction of the gaming industry and anticipate how studio support groups needs will change or evolve as a result. Use this knowledge to identify opportunities and makes recommendations to meet those need.
Working alongside production staff and engineers, you will design, build, and support systems for a large-scale enterprise production environment that supports business needs and workflow. Collaborate and gather requirements, troubleshoot issues, apply a scientific approach to continuous improvement, challenge status quo, promote a high accountability trust culture and build excellent working relationships with our studio partners. As the technical lead, you will establish and maintain a strategic relationship with appropriate level key stakeholders throughout the customer base ensuring a high level of customer service.
Inspire and lead initial discovery, architecture, design, automation, implementation and operationalization, including:
* Business Engagement and Requirements Gathering
* Architectural Review, Proof of Concept Work, and Onboarding
* Project: Build and Operationalize New Systems/Sites/Services/Products
* Systematic Load Testing, Troubleshooting, Optimization and Tuning
* Create System and Application Monitors, Trending Metrics and Reports
* Development: Tools and Automation Frameworks
A passion for Documentation: Creation of Application Infrastructure Design documents, Operational Run books, and Knowledge Base Articles
* Expertise in multiple scripting languages
* Software Development Continuous Integration (CI) Pipeline knowledge (e.g. Jenkins, Gitlab CI) and Source Control Management (E.G. Git)
* Expertise with Operating Systems, Distributed Systems and familiarity with Container Platforms
* Expertise in public and private cloud hosting services (AWS, Google Cloud, Azure)
* Expertise with storage clusters, fiber channel, NAS, and Virtualization options (Isilon, Netapp, VMWare, DDN)
* Understanding of deployment management products (Puppet, Ansible)
* Proficient in web server technologies (e.g. Apache, Node.js, NginX, Tomcat, IIS, Caddy Server) including setup, configuration, performance monitoring, tuning, clustering, and debugging (e.g. JConsole)
* Proficient with data technologies (e.g. NoSQL, MySQL, MongoDB, Redis, Elastic) including being able to perform basic setup, configuration, and troubleshooting
* Able to diagnose simple to complex system and process problems
* Able to perform and provide in depth analysis on load test runs against a moderately complex system
* Demonstrate exceptional troubleshooting methodology, including the ability to author and instruct new methodologies to the SRE team
* Able to identify and propose system and application fixes for performance bottlenecks
* Able to evaluate new system and/or infrastructure solutions for technical feasibility against known requirements and standards
* Effective at dealing with change: Able to transition in role or handle a significant modification or technology with minimal ramp-up time and with very little guidance
* A clear and concise communicator, written and verbal, with the ability to keep end users informed of progress and managers informed of requests. An effective listener: able to engage with and understand others to discover what their requirements are
* Inspires and creates excitement about new technologies, platforms and methodologies
* Demonstrates curiosity and continuous learning and self-improvement
* Ability to lead functional teams in systems integration and design including writing operational specs, architectural diagrams, test plans and requirements management
* Effective project management and planning on large-scale projects (familiarity with agile/scrum project management)
* Ability to design and deliver training to other technologists
* Construction of concise and complete technical documentation
* Mentoring of other staff on technical material
* Viewed as a reliable technical resource for others
* Able to quickly and adeptly understand the needs of the business and be able to translate those needs into actionable items
* Tool chain development and support
* At least 6 years of experience as a professional IT Systems Engineer, preferably in the visual effects or gaming industries, building and supporting IT systems in a multi-platform high performance production environment.
* A Bachelor's degree from a four-year university (i.e., BA, BS) or equivalent
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
We sincerely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in PlayStation.