* Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or equivalent area
* 8+ years of experience in Software Engineering
* Hands-on experience designing and building B2B or B2C products
* Strong experience working with SQL and No-SQL databases
* Experience designing and deploying applications on cloud infrastructure with providers such as AWS, Azure, or Google
* Experience with container technologies such as Docker and Kubernetes
* Practiced experience refactoring, design patterns, design driven development, continuous integration, system and application design, application security
* Experience with small teams that move fast
* Practiced experience with agile software development methodologies
* Strong analytical and problem-solving skills paired with the ability to implement creative and effective solutions
* Able to work effectively with competing priorities, proactively manage expectations, and lead a team under pressure
* Comfortable with ambiguity and rapid changes common in early-stage product development
* Distinct customer focus and quality mindset
* Able to manage own professional development and contribute to functional knowledge building
* Strong command of English language (both verbal and written)
Who You'll Work With
With McKinsey's Solutions Technology team, you'll join our Chicago or New York office to build and shape tech solutions for our McKinsey clients to help solve the world's toughest functional and industry challenges.
McKinsey fosters innovation driven by analytics, design thinking, mobile and social by developing new products/services and integrating them into our client work. Our Solutions Technology team is helping to shift our model toward asset based consulting and is foundational to our entrepreneurial culture. Through innovative software as a service solutions, strategic acquisitions, and a vibrant ecosystem of alliances, we are redefining what it means to work with McKinsey.
What You'll Do
As a Staff Software Engineer you will provide technical leadership for a small team and scale the team's capabilities. You will own the overall technical design, implementation, and delivery of applications the team puts into client's hands. You will help your team improve engineering practices, automated testing, continuous integration, and focus on business outcomes that matter to clients. Initially you may be working with a development partner team as we build out our internal engineering capability.
You will be an active learner, identifying new or better ways to deliver impact with people and technology. You will develop a growth mindset and relish opportunities to use familiar and unfamiliar technologies, closed source and open source software, and develop better approaches to solving business and technical challenges. You will embrace agile software development practices and contribute to growing and improving our engineering organization.
You will contribute code and participate in code reviews, facilitate breaking down user stories into technical tasks, and help manage the process by which code is delivered and its quality. You will lead the adoption of technical standards and best practices to grow high performing teams. You will identify and escalate barriers, dependencies and risks and collaborate with business stakeholders to mitigate the risks.
McKinsey & Company is an equal opportunity employer.
McKinsey and Company is a management consulting firm serving commercial, government, and not-for-profit organizations.