At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 600 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
About the Role
Uber is looking for a mature technical leader to lead a team within our Software Networking (SWN) Infrastructure group. As a Staff Engineer within Infrastructure you will have a significant impact on the evolution of Uber's backend teams and architecture. Our mission is to make transportation as reliable as running water, and we need people who are excited to build the dependable foundation that supports that vision.
Staff engineers at Uber have a deep impact across a wide variety of business and technology decisions spanning multiple projects and locations. They are passionate and pragmatic technologists who are able to design scalable systems while delivering efficient code. They are not only collaborative role models, but also approachable thought leaders within a larger group. They are humble teachers, technically mentoring a team of talented engineers while also executing on delivering uniquely challenging projects.
We are looking for someone with a passion for architecting, building and scaling highly-available, mission-critical systems that support millions of users on a daily basis.
This is a unique opportunity for an experienced engineer who is collaborative, has a healthy sense of curiosity and acts with responsibility to join Uber, work with talented people across the board and help improve our next generation infrastructure systems, scaling it to the next level.
What You'll Do / What You'll Need / Bonus Points / About the Team
What you'll need
* You have a proven record of building and productionizing highly reliable infrastructure at scale.
* 10+ years of relevant engineering experience.
* Experience with Go, Java, or C++ (bonus points for more than one).
* Deep knowledge of gRPC or working experience with gRPC
* Proficiency in Linux.
* Full-stack infrastructure knowledge.
* You have great interpersonal skills, deep technical ability, and a portfolio of successful execution. If you enjoy discussing anything from kernels to datacenters and you measure the success of your projects in "nines," then we want you on the team.
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to write detailed technical documents.
* Passionate about helping teams grow by inspiring and mentoring engineers.
* Undergraduate degree in computer science or equivalent.
* You can collaborate well with several product engineering teams to articulate requirements and system design.
* Ability to lead and guide excellent engineering teams.
* Ability to assess new technologies and make pragmatic choices that help guide us towards a long-term vision.
* Open, curious, and bold approach to problem-solving and striving for the best solution.
* Passion for driving continual improvement initiatives on engineering best practices like coding, testing or monitoring.
What You'll Do
* Provide technical leadership in designing, implementing, testing and rolling out the next generations of our infrastructure at Uber.
* Collaborate with others, from talented team members within your group, through smart technologists in other functions like machine learning, AI or data science, to responsible leaders across Uber.
* Build up strong relationships with people in the organization, meaningfully collaborating and building trust.
* Be a role model on acting with good judgement and responsibility. Engineers across the organization will look to you on how best to plan and execute on projects.
* See the big picture and identify strategically important problems, inefficiencies or opportunities for meaningful improvements. Drive alignment on how to tackle these and deliver high leverage solutions on these at the group and organization level.
* Up the bar on sustainable engineering by improving best practices, producing best in class of code, documentation, testing and monitoring.
* Be a humble mentor and trusted advisor for both our talented team members and passionate leaders alike. Deal with a difference in opinions in a mature and fair way, helping teams to commit and move forward.
What You'll Need
* 10 Minimum Years of Experience with gRPC, RPC, distributed system
About the Team
SWN team's mission is to build the next generation of Uber's Mobile Networking, Datacenter Ingress, Service Discovery, Load Balancing, Edge termination and RPC solutions. At Uber we have a complex infrastructure spanning both data centers and cloud. SWN technology stack ensure seamless integration and communication of PRIME & ATG services hosted on cloud or data centers. We engineer long term solutions to these high-impact problem areas that empower every engineering team across the company.
We're establishing best practices and helping other teams architect better solutions, and we're not afraid to get into the nitty gritty low-level details. Our tools power everything from automatic datacenter failovers, layer-7 load balancing, and the APIs developers use to consume other Uber services. We have a measurable impact on ensuring Uber remains reliable, durable and scalable.
Uber provides a mobile application connecting passengers with drivers for hire.