At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 600 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
About the Role
Privacy Engineering's mission is to make Uber the industry model for consumer privacy through differentiated products and services, standards in engineering, policy, and transparent communications.
We are seeking a Staff Software Engineer with 8+ years of experience in building highly scalable, robust, and fault-tolerant products and platforms in big data environment to join our Privacy Engineering effort. We are focusing on building both the user-facing features and internal services that give our users choice around their data, build trust, advance data privacy, and enable our business.
You should be comfortable in uncharted territory as we build unique privacy technologies and grow user trust. We need your skills and enthusiasm to make it happen.
What You'll Do / What You'll Need / Bonus Points / About the Team
What You'll Do
* Your work will have a direct impact on the privacy experience for our users and their trust in Uber.
* You set the technical vision for Privacy Engineering, identify and tackle strategically important problems, create plans and build software solutions to address real world privacy concerns.
* You improve the definition of best practices and architecture with deep domain knowledge.
* You deliver on solutions that few others can, either by your own heavy lifting or the ability to orchestrate large group efforts.
* You create alignment and improved collaboration within and outside the security organization.
* You are a role model for others at Uber, on both the technical and cultural front.
* Your technical influence may extend beyond Uber and reach the industry at large.
What You'll Need
* Depth and expertise. You have significant hands-on design and coding experience in building and deploying high-tier systems at scale. You are able to distill complex problems and drive toward creative solutions. You have knowledge and experience in approaches to securing user data and keeping it private. You might have deep knowledge of privacy enhancing technologies, e.g. data anonymization or differential privacy.
* Architecture skills. You know how to build highly scalable, robust, and fault-tolerant services that support our unique rate-of-growth. You stay up-to-date with the latest architectural advancements. You understand how architecture impacts privacy and security.
* Leadership. You can take the lead and have a great sense of what doing 'the right thing' is. You're able to educate product and engineering teams on technical privacy approaches and solutions, and ensure innovation and data protection coexist. You have a track record of creating alignment and improved collaboration across the organization.
* Versatility. In addition to having an intimate knowledge of the stack, you see how it all fits together and can navigate both typical and complex privacy pitfalls.
* Ability to learn on the go. You flourish with new technologies and don't believe in one-size-fits-all solutions. You can adapt to meet the needs of our massive scale, growth, and evolving business environment.
* Passion. You feel ownership over everything you ship. You'd never call code "released" until you're satisfied it's well implemented and tested. You pride yourself on efficient monitoring, thorough documentation, and proper test coverage.
* A great teammate. You believe that you can achieve more on a team; that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. You rely on others' candid feedback for continuous improvement. You seek ways to mentor others and share your deep privacy expertise with the team.
Design and business sense. Whether you're working on an API used by other developers, an internal tool consumed by our operation teams, or a feature used by millions of customers, your attention to details results in a delightful user experience.
Uber is a provider of a mobile application connecting passengers with drivers for hire.