Zendesk builds software for better customer relationships. It empowers organizations to improve customer engagement and better understand their customers. Zendesk products are easy to use and implement. They give organizations the flexibility to move quickly, focus on innovation, and scale with their growth. One of the key features of Zendesk Support is allowing agents to filter their list of tickets. Whether it is looking for tickets that are new, assigned to the agent, deleted or something custom - the views team designs and builds the systems which serve up one of the most critical pages within our product. These 'views' power our user's first experience when they log into Zendesk Support. Views are very flexible; we have examples with 100s of conditions and 10s of joins with other data, operating across 10's of millions of tickets. To operate this at scale (4K requests/second), we use an event driven materialized query cache. The Team - is quite small today - three engineers, and architect (on of the original authors), so this is an opportunity to have a big impact on a critical team working on Zendesk's biggest product. The future - a good chunk of our time is spent fine tuning the system as Zendesk's scale grows and grows. We're also moving toward getting everything on Kubernetes. Slightly longer term we're evaluating other backend systems (such as ElasticSearch) for our caching system. This position- As a Staff Engineer at Zendesk, you'll utilise your experience and technical expertise to help our team of talented engineers achieve one of Zendesk's key product goals.
What you get to do every day:
* Help us figure out how to best tune and evolve the views sub-systemContribute to the core Zendesk Support codebase.
* Collaborate closely with other San Francisco and Melbourne teams to ensure projects are technically aligned.
* Influence good architectural decisions, balanced by the reality of our business strategy.
* Participate in all phases of the software lifecycle including being a collaborator with Product Managers to define product specifications.
* Review code submissions of junior staff mentoring and guiding them throughout the process.
* Successfully move an application through QA and production stages in our continuous integration environment through to deployment.
* Proactively seeking out and help to minimise pain points within the infrastructure and code base of the Zendesk's application.
* Work in a dynamic agile team where best practices for delivering excellence and high availability software is everything.
What you bring to the role:
* Proven experience in a progressive software development environment in a SaaS environment. You should consider yourself a seasoned engineer with a deep working knowledge of Scala, but we might be persuaded if you know an alternate functional language which will enable you to quickly transition.
* Exposure to API design, rate-limiting, caching, SQL query optimization would be useful.A sound understanding of web application development and agile practices.
* Good communication skills, both written and verbal - you'll be collaborating closely with our San Francisco and Singapore offices.
* A quality, balanced approach to development and testing, including TDD where appropriate.
* You love helping everyone improve their code, working together with the team on Github and the PR process.
Zendesk builds software for better customer relationships. It empowers organizations to improve customer engagement and better understand their customers. Zendesk products are easy to use and implement. They give organizations the flexibility to move quickly, focus on innovation, and scale with their growth.
More than 100,000 paid customer accounts in over 150 countries and territories use Zendesk products. Based in San Francisco, Zendesk has operations in the United States, Europe, Asia, Australia, and South America.
Interested in knowing what we do in the community? Check out the Zendesk Neighbor Foundation to learn more about how we engage with, and provide support to, our local communities.
Zendesk is an equal opportunity employer, and we're proud of our ongoing efforts to foster diversity & inclusion in the workplace. Individuals seeking employment at Zendesk are considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, medical condition, ancestry, physical or mental disability, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
Zendesk is a company developing a customer support ticketing system and service software.