At Box, we believe in building products that delight users and transform how they work. Our desktop products are at the heart of this, providing a native experience for users that makes it seamless to interact with Box content. Box Desktop applications drive the highest engagement with customers and are among the most important in customer retention. We are working to make the full Box cloud - its content, collaboration, and management - available to users with the interactivity and familiarity of their local computer and local applications. Be part of the engineering team that is building the new foundation for Box on the desktop and transforming how people work every day!
In this role, your work will reach millions of users and help continue Box's leadership as the web's secure content management and collaboration platform. You'll be working closely with a small group of engineers who strive to build the most comprehensive, cross-platform, enterprise-class solution to sync, stream, and share content. You'll be designing and implementing features to solve challenges around user experience, security, networking, algorithms, file system implementation & optimization, and cross-platform portability. Every day you'll work with our dedicated Product Management team, embedded Quality Engineering team, embedded Build & Release team, or one of our peer engineering teams to imagine and build future desktop experiences for our users.
Why the team needs you
The Desktop Engine team is responsible the core of Box's next generation desktop client application, Box Drive, for Mac and Windows (read more about Box Drive here: https://blog.box.com/blog/box-drive-how-we-made-all-box-available-desktop/). We need to add a thoughtful and collaborative developer who can help us deliver more of Box's cloud functionality to the desktop and who is committed to continuously improving our overall technical architecture. We want to bring in a developer who is excited to solve complex problems in sophisticated, modern desktop applications and who has a demonstrated ability to GSD (Get Stuff Done).
Why Box needs you
Box is growing fast. Real fast. Every business in the world is looking to modernize the way that they work. As the leader in cloud content management, Box is the ideally positioned company to help enterprises transform how people work together. A major part of that transformation will occur on people's desktop machines. That's where you come in!
Why you need Box
You will have the chance to collaborate with, learn from, and mentor a strong group of accomplished engineers. You'll have visibility and impact on a critical area of Box's growth. You'll be exposed to and will contribute heavily to design, architecture, planning, and monitoring of the full stack of our Box Drive application. Expect to partner with peer engineering teams and have exposure and influence on a broad set of topics - from the public Box APIs to Realtime event notification to kernel level filesystem implementation.
Who you are
* You have several years of relevant experience with an object oriented language
* You are familiar with unit testing and functional testing methodologies
* You have strong coding, design, and architecture skills
* You have a history of collaboration and success in small, high-velocity teams
* You have excellent problem solving and debugging skills
* You have excellent attention to detail
* Bonus points if you have expertise in Python or a working knowledge of C, C++, C#, Objective-C, or Swift
Why you are Staff
* You can contribute to and make key technical implementation decisions and help guide engineering vision at Box
* You enjoy collaborating with senior members (and all members!) of the team to define our product's future and architecture.
* You also enjoy collaborating across teams. Here at Box we also have mobile and web clients along with desktop that all should expose the same functionality
* You lead by example, developing high quality code and assisting others via design and code reviews
* You think at scale and build for the future
Box is a company that provides an online file sharing and cloud content management service.