About the Role
Freenome is looking for engineers to help us develop software to combat cancer and other age-related diseases. You will work as part of an interdisciplinary team of engineers and scientists building our internal machine learning platform. As an early team member, you'll take the lead on major projects and collaborate actively with our world-class team of engineers, scientists, designers and product managers. You'll design and build the systems used to power our Discovery Platform, the heart of Freenome's experimental analyses. Since we're a small team, you'll also have an opportunity to determine the course of a broad range of projects and help shape the direction of the Engineering team at Freenome.
Freenome's software systems provide the "nervous system" for the company by tracking sample analysis from start to finish, empowering and assisting lab technicians and scientists, and automating our growing collection of cancer-fighting robots. This nervous system is built using modern software development technologies and methodologies.
* Work closely with machine learning, bioinformatics, and product management teams to understand needs and then architect, roadmap, and lead development of the next phase of Freenome's discovery software platform
* Deep understanding of the role of the discovery platform for Freenome's product development process and partnerships, and guidance of its purposeful evolution in support of these efforts
* Own group charter and build a focused, collaborative engineering team
* Develop and deploy reliable, maintainable, scalable, and fault-tolerant services
* Guide and champion engineering hygiene and culture as a core part of the engineering backbone
What We're Looking For:
* Ability to understand, plan, and develop for key aspects of Freenome's multi-analyte discovery analysis platform:
* Heterogeneous data organization, accessibility, and modeling
* Rapid, iterative, reproducible experimentation and analysis
* Simple navigation to arbitrary states and checkpoints within the analysis tree
* Clear interpretation and presentation of discovery insights in reports
* 5+ years experience as a part of a software development team successfully shipping a machine learning, deep learning, data science, analytical, or similar platform
* Management or team lead experience
* Knowledge of optimal methods for modern data storage systems, distributed systems, service architecture, and pipelining or workflow management.
* Track record of building distributed systems with service endpoints and distributed storage.
* Understanding of, and practical experience with, statistical and machine learning methods.
* Degree in computer science, mathematics, statistics, or related field or equivalent work experience
* Proficiency in a general-purpose programming language: Python, Java, C, C++, etc
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills
* A mindful, transparent, and humane approach to your work and your interactions with others
Nice to Haves:
* Deep knowledge of Python
* PostgreSQL or similar relational database experience
* Experience with Google Cloud Platform, or another cloud computing service
* Domain-specific experience in computational biology, genomics or a related field
* Experience in scientific parallel computing
* Experience in high-performance computing, including SIMD or GPU performance optimization
* Experience with use of automated regression testing, version control, and deployment systems
Freenome is an AI genomics company on a mission to empower everyone with the tools they need to detect, treat, and ultimately prevent their diseases.
By applying advanced machine learning techniques to recent breakthroughs in genomic science, Freenome is developing simple blood tests to detect early-stage cancer and make treatments more effective. The company has raised $78 million from investors such as Andreessen Horowitz, Google Ventures, Polaris Partners, and Founders Fund.
Freenome's technology enables it to looks beyond the tumor to analyze the body's own response to cancer through the fragments of DNA and RNA that are released into the bloodstream when the cancer kills immune cells and other healthy cells. Along with cancer-associated proteins, these circulating, cell-free (cf) biomarkers provide a more dynamic picture of cancer's activity in the body, even at its earliest stages.
By decoding the billions of complex patterns in cell-free biomarkers associated with specific tumor types, Freenome's AI genomics platform is learning to detect cancer before symptoms occur, greatly improving survival rates. Other applications of our technology are providing insights into the safest, most effective treatments and revealing promising new targets for drug development.
Freenomers are technical and creative, visionary and grounded, empathetic and passionate. We build teams around divergent expertise, which allows us to solve problems and uncover opportunities in unique ways. Freenomers are some of the most talented experts in their fields. Together we advance healthcare one breakthrough at a time.
We value empathy, integrity and trust in one another. That means embracing other's perspectives, those of our coworkers and those of the patients and communities we serve. It means knowing when to push, and when to be quiet and listen. At Freenome we give each other the benefit of the doubt in the believe that we're all working as a team toward the same goals. We conduct ourselves with integrity, empowering others to grow in a collaborative environment.
Freenome explicitly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status.