Store No 8
STAFF DATA ENGINEER
Jetblack is the first portfolio company within Store Nº8, the incubation arm of Walmart, which is focused on transforming the future of retail. Jetblack is a members-only personal shopping and concierge service that combines the convenience of e-commerce with the customized attention of a personal assistant. Our ultimate goal is to create a new standard of consumer shopping with the fastest most delightful end-to-end consumer experience.
Our unique positioning as the first stand-alone company incubated by Walmart gives us access to resources needed to have impact at massive scale and reinvent consumer shopping behaviors. Our journey has just begun and we are building a hard-working passionate founding team to join us in changing the retail landscape and driving technical innovation.
Jenny Fleiss, the CEO and co-founder of Jetblack, previously co-founded Rent the Runway, a business that has transformed the retail industry by making designer clothing rentals a convenient and accessible luxury experience for millions of women.
We're blushing. Some of our favorite press links:
Who will love this job:
* A doer - You thrive in a fast-paced environment; we move quickly and need a teammate who will too
* An organizer - You have superb organizational skills, attention to detail, and ability to outline and execute a plan in a methodical, structured way.
* A creative problem solver - You have the ability to think outside of the box and maintain a flexible approach to problem solving.
* A numbers guru- You're analytical and feel comfortable using numbers to dissect problems, and communicating insights to the broader team.
* A balanced thinker- You're obsessed with the details, but can see the big picture and contribute to ideas on how to make us an even better company than we are today.
We are looking for a Data Engineer to shape the vision and architecture of Jetblack's next generation data infrastructure, making it easy for developers to build data-driven products and enabling data culture within the organization. You love to learn and to share your vision and expertise with others in an open, collaborative environment, partnering with multi-functional teams that span the entire company. You are responsible for developing a reliable infrastructure that enables the company's growth stage scaling. Your efforts will allow accessibility to business and user behavior insights, using Jetblack data to fuel several teams such as Analytics, Engineering, Data Science, Operations, Marketing, Product, Partnerships and many others as well as empowering them to depend on each other reliably.
The ideal candidate is motivated to make an impact in creating a robust and scalable data platform used by every team. You will be a great fit if you have a strong bias towards action, enjoy finding patterns amidst chaos, and have demonstrated success in creating resilient systems from the ground up. We're looking for someone who has the pragmatism to use the right tool for the job and the vision to anticipate and build for dynamics needs (from operations to research engineering).
What you'll do:
* Architect and design data infrastructure in production (performance, reliability, monitoring)
* Build our next generation data warehouse and event stream platform
* Build incrementally and make consistent progress.
* Move quickly to provide analysts with new data before they ask for it
* Build processes for topnotch security, performance, reliability, and accuracy
* You're empathetic, you build long-lasting relationship characteristic of highly efficient teams.
What you should have:
* Have deep expertise in at least one object oriented language, such as Python or Java
* Have deep expertise utilizing workflow management systems such as Airflow
* Have experience successfully introducing new patterns and frameworks
* Can optimize a query with the best of them
* Have a passion for engineering, and for creating what doesn't exist
* Know how to make the tradeoffs required to ship without compromising quality
* Appreciate agility and pragmatism in software development
* Familiarity with Business Intelligence (BI) tools such as Looker and Tableau
* Ability to communicate effectively and work independently with little supervision to deliver on time quality products
* Ability to work in a fast-paced startup environment.
Pay, perks & such
Our benefit package includes a monthly gym stipend, a generous parental leave program, leading healthcare options, 401k matching, and more! We offer flexible PTO and a great culture filled with work out classes, celebrations, and clubs. We host fireside chats and monthly all-hands meetings. Most importantly, we empower employees to dig in and focus on solving big consumer problems. Join us!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
About Store No 8
Store No. 8 is a technology-startup incubator created by Walmart.