At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 600 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
About the Role
Uber Freight is spearheading Uber's first Engineering team in Chicago! This team will own prototyping for new product and customer integrations, as well as developing operational tools and automations -- all the way from inception to launch. In order to accomplish this, the team will work closely with our industry partners, software engineering team in San Francisco, and Chicago-based teams including account management, operations, and sales engineering. If you enjoy coming up with creative ways to solve customer needs, we'd love to talk to you!
What You'll Do / What You'll Need / Bonus Points / About the Team
What You'll Do
* Collaborate with the business teams to determine opportunities and feasibility for new products, features, integrations, and automation - with a mind towards efficiency, scalability, and end user experience
* Analyze the systems and workflows used by our customers and partners, and suggest efficient ways to integrate them into Uber Freight's platform.
* Distill discrete project requirements in a rapidly-changing environment and defend best practices in proposed solutions
* Analyze the workflows used by our internal teams (Account Management, Ops, etc), suggest workflow automations to remove manual touches, and implement them in collaboration with the engineering teams in Chicago and San Francisco
* Architect and implement solutions using our existing application stack or by on-boarding new tools / applications.
* Drive projects to completion and participate in team Scrum activities (Stand-ups, backlog grooming, sprint planning, and team retrospectives).
* Work with other engineering teams to ensure standards for engineering excellence, scalability, reliability, and reuse.
* Mentor less experienced engineers and analysts and build new leaders for the organization.
What You'll Need
* 5+ years of relevant experience building prototypes, integrations, automations, and solutions at scale
* Demonstrated experience in shipping high-quality features and tools on schedule
* Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills, including the ability to give constructive feedback / objections
* Bias toward action. You believe that speed and quality aren't mutually exclusive. You've shown good judgment about shipping as fast as possible while ensuring your products and platforms are built in a sustainable, responsible way--and you're comfortable making mistakes, provided you learn from them.
* BS/MS/Phd in Computer Science or a related field is a plus
* Knowledge of the logistics, freight industry, and enterprise software integrations is a plus
About the Team
Trucks move everything you buy, why shouldn't booking a truck be as seamless as booking an Uber?
Uber Freight connects shippers with carriers / truck drivers, much like the way the Uber connects riders and drivers. The Uber Freight team believes that empowering truck drivers will bring more open, efficient, and increasingly safer transportation to our roads. We are a team of sharp, entrepreneurial individuals who are redefining the movement of goods around the world. We are currently looking for candidates to join our growing team who share our enthusiasm for tackling today's toughest challenges in transportation.
Uber is a provider of a mobile application connecting passengers with drivers for hire.