Embedded Software/Hardware Engineer
At Cisco Meraki, we know that technology can connect us, empower us, and drive us. By simplifying powerful technology, we can free passionate people to focus on their mission. As the fastest growing cloud-managed networking team in the world, our products and technology architecture are changing the face of enterprise networking and making cloud-managed IT a reality.
We are seeking a passionate individual and software engineering technical expert for the full Meraki product portfolio. This Embedded Software/Hardware Engineer will play a multifaceted role, connecting with Meraki's Hardware and Software groups, and overseas JDM partners. They will be the driving force in communicating and directing complex software assignments to the non-local teams.
Additional roles include IoT and FPGA work, light security code bring-up and sequencing, and collaborating with Cisco's security team. You will work across all of Meraki's product lines -- including new additions -- and do so across our widespread JDM ecosystem. Join our high-impact team and work with every part of the machine that brings the Meraki magic to market!
* Work with firmware resources and incorporate feedback into development plan
* Test BSP/SDK to bring POCs and early samples to minimum functionality
* Validate manufacturing functions in hardware
* Collaborate with JDMs to outline block diagrams and schematics to ensure proper hardware designs are followed
* Develop architecture, author PRDs, and lead RFQs for our new security portfolio
* Validate and iterate on layout and schematics, and drive vendor approvals
* Collaborate with Quality to build a testbed for firmware release qualification and validation
* Develop Meraki drivers for custom circuitry for peripherals such as fans, sensors, and power supplies
* Define and maintain firmware structural standard across Meraki platforms (memory mapping, RTL code, LED drivers, etc)
* Define and implement or guide FPGA glue logic, reset/CLK logic, and compilation with trusted security technology
* Collaborate with NPI teams; including ME, sourcing, packaging, certification, and quality; and provide technical mentorship as needed
* Work both independently and cross-functionally to ensure timely deliverables.
* BS and/or MS in Electrical Engineering or related discipline
* Familiarity with memory architectures and characteristics such as EEPROM, SPI Flash, NAND, eMMC, DRAM, and SRAM
* Soldering and board rework competency
* Strong understanding of software and hardware interaction
* Skilled with oscilloscopes, logic analyzers, bus analyzers, JTAG debuggers
* Familiarity with bus protocols I2C, SPI, and UART
* 5+ years experience working with switches, routers and/or hardware products
* Minimum 2 years experience working with Asia-based manufacturers
* Multiple years experience interacting with human beings
* Ability to travel up to 25% to Taiwan and China
Nice to have:
* Expertise in Layer 2 and Layer 3 switching
* Familiarity with manufacturing processes and build management
* IoT experience including sensor development
* Cultural competency and understanding of Taiwanese and Chinese cultures
Meraki is based in the Mission Bay area of San Francisco, with beautiful views of the AT&T Ballpark and the Bay beyond. You will have access to an onsite gym, multiple kitchens stocked with high quality snacks, a coffee bar, catered lunches every single day, and a generous benefits package.
Cisco is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, genetic information, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected basis. Cisco will consider for employment, on a case by case basis, qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Cisco is a global company that designs and sells a broad range of technologies across networking, security, collaboration, applications, and the cloud.