At Northwestern Mutual, we are strong, innovative and growing. We invest in our people. We care and make a positive difference.
The Sr Solutions Engineer is the business whisperer … taking ambiguous ideas and turning them into beautiful software products that deliver business value upon release. The Senior Solutions Engineer is a rock star, someone who lives and breathes software development and makes a living identifying problems, evaluating alternatives, while clearly communicating the tradeoffs so the outcome is the right fit now and in the future for both the business and technology organization at Northwest Mutual. The ideal candidate will be a thought leader, contributing to technology and product roadmaps while continuing to refine the hands-on skills required to design and develop solutions to achieve business goals. The Senior Solutions Engineer will be a leader, guiding projects and project teams to desired outcomes.
* Understand and align development to the business and technology strategy
* Evolve software products to exceed needs and expectations of the consumer
* Deliver technology products that yield immediate business value
* Collaborate as part of a high-performing team and strengthen the NM tech community as a whole
* Understand development costs and resourcing, compliance, security and risk
* Eat, sleep, breathe development (java, python, etc)
* Better delivery than Dominos (CI/CD expert, PjM skills)
* More renown architecturally than Frank Lloyd Wright (enterprise architectural designer)
* Knows Cloud better than the sky
* Plays well with others
What you'll do every day
* Design, implement, deploy and support new web-based applications and web services using server technologies stacks that include Java, MySQL and AWS services.
* Define and implement REST Web Services for exposing personal financial services for managing financial accounts, payments, investment portfolios, credit products
* Execute end-to-end software development and deployment in an agile environment that greatly values CI/CD.
* Define and develop cloud-native distributed systems and container orchestration platforms using micro service and serverless architectures.
* Be a thought leader with respect to product architecture and integration
* Keep abreast of industry trends & standards
* Build and maintain high quality tests along with feature development
* Communicate effectively with technical & non-technical resources
* Train and mentor teammates and other (x-dept) Software Engineers
What kind of person should you be?
* As a Software Engineer, you pride yourself on your problem-solving and analytical skills
* You have the ability to quickly learn unfamiliar systems & code bases
* You can handle the most stressful situations calmly
* You often suggest ideas for new applications that can improve operations
* You're self-motivated
* Your ability to debug & triage complex problems is outstanding
* You have the ability to assess maintainability & long-term impacts of design choices
* Work well independently or as part of a team
* Yourself. Integrity is paramount
What skills do you need?
* Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or Engineering, or equivalent experience
* 8+ years of professional software engineering experience
* Minimum of 5 years of experience in Java environments
* Professional CSP Experience (AWS preferred) with services such as EC2, S3, and RDS
* OSWAP-minded developer, experienced with static and dynamic code analytical tools (Blackduck, etc)
* Experience in building modern distributed applications or micro services preferred
* Proficiency in Relational / non-relational databases and data architecture
* Excellent written and verbal communications skills
Grow your career with a best-in-class company that puts our client's interests at the center of all we do. Get started now!
We are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Req ID: 24646
Position Type: Regular Full Time
Education Experience: Bachelor's Required
Employment Experience: 6-8 years
FLSA Status: Exempt
Posting Date: 01/18/2019