Sr. Software Engineer
With direction from senior IT leadership and using independent judgment and discretion, this position is responsible to deliver complete technical solutions for defined problems and apply novel techniques to improve existing solutions. Performs complex analysis, design, programming and modification of web and database applications that support and enhance customer product applications. May interface with customers to bring solutions to identified problems.
REPORTING STRUCTURE & WORK SETTING
This position typically performs work at the central headquarters but may perform work while located at a field location. This position normally reports to a manager or director with technical development and engineering responsibility.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & PRIMARY ACCOUNTABILITIES
NOTE: The essential duties and primary accountabilities below are intended to describe the general content of and requirements of this position and are not intended to be an exhaustive statement of duties. Incumbents may perform all or most of the primary accountabilities listed below. Specific tasks, responsibilities or competencies may be documented in the incumbent's performance objectives as outlined by the incumbent's immediate supervisor or manager.
1. Performs complex product design activities on web and database applications to support and enhance Health Care, Dependent Care, Commuter and other products in areas including but not limited to eligibility, online enrollment, claims, payroll and reporting. Design and modification activities may require extensive research, analysis and collaboration with internal departments to understand product requirements, target environment, performance criteria and competitive issues.
2. Exerts influence on product line directions by feeding back information on the technical effort required to achieve stated goals. Participates in regular project reviews with department managers. Aids in selecting directions and methods for delivering products or solutions.
3. May serve as the technical leader for small project teams and serve as a significant individual contributor on larger projects.
4. Provides regular project progress reports to managers, stakeholders and project sponsors, including project direction, goals, and proposed solutions. Incorporates feedback into project directions and results.
5. As the acknowledged expert resource in a field of expertise, can deliver most tasks required for a complete solution of a technical problem. Handles difficult tasks on a routine basis. Independently develops new solutions to difficult problems requiring ingenuity and innovation.
6. May interface with customers to problem solve and bring a complete solution to identified problems.
7. Makes strong contributions to department knowledge and helps drive department methodology and technical direction.
9. Makes enhancements to database components using a relational database, database and object modeling and design.
10. Documents design and design solutions in line with the Company's standard operating procedures. Ensures compliance of work with applicable development/design guidelines, quality standards and policies, as well as any industry and/or regulatory standards.
11. Provides key support for the testing and integration testing for functionality and limits. Additionally, provides key support for the deployment of new components. This may entail performing a complex level of bug verification, release testing and beta support for assigned products. Upon discovery of issues, researches problems and develops solutions as appropriate.
12. Maintains a high level of technical skills, knowledge and currency by attending trainings, seminars, or other technical-related conferences or seminars; interfacing with peers; or studying trade periodicals or journals.
MARGINAL DUTIES & ADDITIONAL FUNCTIONS
1. May assist with the coordination of application development projects by facilitating communication upward and across project team including project status, justifications for variances and technical information (architecture, design and implementation objectives).
2. May provide work leadership and assistance to professional level and entry-level development staff, working with others on their approach and design of software applications and/or responding to escalated questions and issues.
3. Performs other duties as assigned or apparent.
No formal supervisory responsibility entailed. However, incumbents may provide work leadership and assistance to less experienced development staff as described.
ADDITIONAL PERFORMANCE REQUIREMENTS
WageWorks believes that our success is achieved by its People. Values describe how we work together to achieve our success. It is our employees that drive results through living our Company Values. Every employee at WageWorks is expected to uphold and demonstrate the eight Company Values listed below as an additional component of the job description and as a standard of individual performance.
Clients and Participants Come First: Exceeding client and participant expectations is our highest priority
Integrity: We are open, honest, ethical and conscientious
Passion: A will to win and a relentless drive for excellence
Accountability: Deliver on commitments and take ownership for solving problems and creating solutions
Leadership and Influence: Our actions inspire vision and clarity of purpose
Continuous Improvement and Innovation: We embrace change and drive new ideas into business solutions
Dignity and Respect: We value the diversity of our people, encourage their development and reward their performance
Creating Value for Shareholders: Deliver consistent growth and premium returns
ESSENTIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
Knowledge of computer science or engineering or a closely related field as normally obtained through the completion of a Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or a related field. A Master's of Science in Computer Science/Engineering or equivalent is preferred.
WORK EXPERIENCE OR RELATED EXPERIENCE:
The knowledge, skill and ability to perform complex application analysis, design, programming and modification as described as normally obtained through a minimum of 6 - 8 years directly related design and support experience in which incumbent has achieved a progressively higher level of technical expertise and responsibility.
SPECIALIZED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
A thorough and deep technical knowledge in software development methodologies, design and implementation is required. Excellent analytical and design skills at multiple product levels and good skills in research and analysis, project planning and implementation are essential.
Incumbents must have a thorough understanding of the complete application development process, including specification, documentation and quality assurance.
Ability to apply novel techniques to improve existing processes, applications and solutions is required. Significant creativity, ingenuity and innovation coupled with the ability to independently develop new solutions to difficult problems is essential.
Good communications and interpersonal skills are required to act as a reference and central point for technical issues across business units and product groups. The ability to interact effectively with team members, marketing or product development staff, customers and others is required. A strong customer service orientation is essential.
A high level of proficiency with business and communications software (preferably Word, Excel, PowerPoint, common Windows operating systems, and Outlook) is required.
TRAVEL REQUIREMENTS & CONDITIONS
Occasional and infrequent travel is required.
WORK ENVIRONMENT CONDITIONS & DEMANDS
Work is generally performed in an office environment in which there is only minimal exposure to unpleasant and/or hazardous working conditions.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS & DEMANDS
Work requires normal range of hearing and eyesight. Incumbent must be able to use a telephone or headset equipment and operate a keyboard and other office equipment. The ability to perform work at a computer terminal for 6-8 hours a day and function in an environment with constant interruptions is required. At times, incumbents are subject to sitting for prolonged periods. Infrequently, incumbent must be able to lift and move material weighing up to 20 lbs. Incumbent may experience elevated levels of stress during periods of increased activity and with work entailing multiple deadlines.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions as described.
WageWorks provides consumer-directed benefits for pretax commuter and health accounts.