Today's users are always online and constantly on the go. They expect to do more by interacting with familiar experiences on any device in more natural ways often using speech, gestures and/or text that they already use when communicating with other humans. At the same time, users also express themselves and their emotions through deep levels of personalization on their devices. Windows continues to push new boundaries in enabling deeply personalized experiences so users can interact with devices in more natural ways and express themselves further through the power of new technologies in areas like Big Data, Cloud Services, Computer Vision, Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence.
These exciting user experiences and technologies also need to exceed user's privacy expectations. The Windows and Devices Privacy Program works with engineering teams to promote transparency and end user choice over use of their personal information. Within the team, the privacy assurance function focuses on validating the implementation of transparency and user choice. We are looking for an engineer with expertise in software testing methodologies who is a self-motivated individual to who has a consultative approach with partner teams and can influence process and priorities, all while maintaining and growing customer trust in Privacy at Microsoft.
Candidates should be highly motivated and passionate about privacy and user experience, and strive to make Microsoft products features clear, easy-to-use, and compliant with privacy and security regulations. The successful candidate will have technical acumen sufficient to engage directly with development and test teams in assessing privacy risk of backend services, platform services, APIs, stored procedures, etc. This position requires technical depth, proven ability to advocate for the right thing and to influence senior engineering teams, and the ability to establish engineering processes. Cross-team collaboration will be a key success factor in this role, including keen organizational awareness to manage potentially contentious cross-team challenges, and interpersonal skills necessary to anticipate and resolve issues between different disciplines, products or divisions.
* 3+ years technical PM experience, and experience shipping features or services
* 2+ years privacy review experience, and experience drafting policy for emerging issues
* IAPP Certified Information Privacy Professional (CIPP, CIPT, or CIPM)
* Bachelor's Degree, or relevant work experience in the technology industry
* Previous ownership and delivery of functional specifications/plans
* Attention to detail and willingness to dive into technical details on features to deliver privacy requirements and innovations
* Excellent written, verbal, and presentation skills
* Strong PM leadership skills
* Outstanding cross-group collaboration skills and proven ability to drive initiatives across organizations
* Knowledge and passion for end user privacy
* Solid project management and reporting experience
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to, the following specialized security screenings:
* Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.
* Assess: Conduct technical deep-dive reviews to evaluate features to mitigate any concerns pre-launch, and to ensure all products and services all meet the high privacy bar when they are released to customers.
* Guide: Partner with engineering teams in all phases of development as a subject matter expert on feature design and user experience that focuses on privacy compliance and excellence.
* Attest: Ensure our products and connected services comply with the all internal privacy standards and pass all privacy bug bars as well as any other legal regulations, and develop customized implementation guidelines for the division where needed.
* Anticipate: Understand the competitive landscape and provide proactive privacy guidance to feature teams to build future-proof solutions.
* Innovate: Propose new features and functionality to improve end user privacy and data protection
* Implement infrastructure: Support privacy as an tenet, including integration in the development cycle and engineering system.
* Drive to resolution: Be able to identify and drive decisions by appropriately escalating security and privacy issues to Exec management, Legal, and/or Regulatory Affairs
* Educate: Support a network of privacy champions across Windows and Devices teams to expand the reach and impact of our program.
Microsoft develops, licenses, and supports software, services, devices, and solutions.