Partners Data Systems
Job ID R89797 Date posted Jan. 30, 2019
Sr Principal Systems Engineer - PC Performance
Dell Technologies is currently adding a Sr Principal Systems Engineer with focus on Client Performance Engineering. This individual will be responsible for applied research and advanced engineering in the development of a hardware and software to optimize client (notebooks, desktops, workstations) performance. The goal will be to perform research and applied engineering to look for new ways to improve performance to differentiate Dell systems in the market place. Will work as a member of a team to investigate and characterize performance of new platforms as well as study performance deficiencies through root cause analysis and corrective actions. Areas of focus will include low level tuning of CPU/GPU, software stack optimizations, subsystem analysis, and benchmark studies. Understanding of design, definition, and implementation of complex system requirements for customers, as well as analyzing existing systems to optimize performance is important. Will develop software to exercise various components of the systems, produce synthetic workloads, create databases to manage results, and provide reports. Also will be tasked with assisting marketing and PR with preparation of proto units for evaluation by multiple internal and external customers including press and analysts while also answering performance related questions and requests.
The ideal candidate shall have a thorough understanding of PC architectures for desktops and notebooks, as well as associated peripherals and software. Previous work in thermal engineering or related field is desired. Further, the candidate must effectively use their understanding of the subject matter to have a direct impact on system-level performance. The individual must be a fast learner, show attention to detail, and the desire to find the right answer, not necessarily the quick answer.
* Previous experience with system integration including building PCs/workstations, installing operating systems, drivers, BIOS, application software and configuring the system for optimum performance
* Previous experience optimizing total system performance through isolation and alleviation of bottlenecks
* Systems engineering background with architecture and engineering experience spanning PC hardware, software and firmware
* Strong understanding of PC market and key applications areas such as workstation software (CAD, media, engineering, etc.)
* Experience with Design of Experiments - execution of experiments required, design of the experiments and analysis of results
* Experience isolating variables and their contributions to results across a complex system of equations
* Knowledge of graphics libraries (OpenGL, Direct3D, etc.) and hardware components influencing graphics rendering performance
* Understanding of storage performance and other key PC peripherals impacting performance.
* Knowledge of modern high-performance computer processors (i.e. x86 and ARM)
* Experience with industry standard interfaces such as 10/100/1000 Ethernet, DDR3, DDR4, PCI-Express, SATA, M.2, NVMe
* Understanding of the C/C++ programming language and its impact on hardware utilization
* Experience with scripting languages such as PowerShell, Python, R
* Understanding of OS internals and tools
* Knowledge of parallel programming design patterns and heterogeneous compute a plus
* 10+ years of relevant experience or equivalent combination of education and work experience
* BS/MS in computer science, computer engineering, software engineering, or equivalent desired
* Ideal candidate will have previous experience with performance engineering (thermal engineering and/or software engineering), benchmarking, and sub-system optimizations
We offer highly competitive salaries, bonus programs, world-class benefits, and unparalleled growth and development opportunities - all to create a compelling and rewarding work environment.
If you would thrive in a combined hardware and software design function, this is your opportunity to develop with Dell.
Dell is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Dell are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Dell will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Learn more about Diversity and Inclusion at Dell here.
About Partners Data Systems
Partners Data Systems is a company that provides high availability storage and backup automation solutions.