At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems in air and space that impact people's lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our work preserves freedom and democracy, and advances human discovery and our understanding of the universe. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have a lot of fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they're making history.
Northrop Grumman Aerospace Systems has an opening for a Sr. Principal Communications Electronics Engineer to join our team of qualified, diverse individuals. This position will be located in San Diego, CA.
Under the direction and leadership of the Global Hawk Electronics & Payloads Lead, the Sr. Principal Mission Systems COMMS/Sensor Engineer is a position to support Global Hawk development, integration, and flight test for the Sensor Management Unit and develop a classified area to perform testing and troubleshooting.
* Perform subsystem design and analysis, document system requirements and interfaces, with traceability to platform requirements
* Perform/support review and analysis of supplier design data, definition of functional test requirements including acceptance, qualification, and system integration.
* Perform/support design reviews, or reviews of design related documentation (ICDs, system and subsystem design documents, etc.)
* Perform SIL, aircraft, and field integration, troubleshooting and repair of sensor systems in military flight test environment, including operations on a flightline, in a hangar, and in command and control centers.
* Perform SIL and flight test planning and execution, both CONUS and OCONUS.
* Perform change management and engineering change proposal (ECP) duties, including preparation, analysis, planning and execution.
* Support development and management of integrated schedules, earned value, risk management, and status reports & briefings and other program communications.
* Bachelor's Degree in a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering or Mathematics) discipline from an accredited university and 9 years of Engineering experience or 7 years with a Master's Degree or 4 years with PhD in a STEM related field.
* Experience with communications technologies examples include: Internet Protocol (IP) networks, Voice over IP (VoIP), RMF, satellite and Line-of-Sight (LOS) RF communications, control interfaces, co-site interference.
* Experienced in sensors system development and associated management systems.
* The ability to maintain a current active DoD Secret Clearance is required for this position.
* Master's Degree in a STEM related discipline is preferred.
* A current active in scope DoD Top Secret Clearance with SCI.
* Working knowledge of RS-422, MIL-STD-1553, and internet protocol (IP) based networks, development and test methodologies.
* Working knowledge of US DoD Communication systems such as INMARSAT, Wide Band SATCOM, UHF SATCOM, UHF LOS, and/or Common Data Link (CDL), for supporting autonomous aircraft C2 and voice systems
* Working knowledge of Sensors, Sensor Management systems and their interface with a variety of sensor packages and communications systems.
* Experienced in Risk Management Framework (RMF) requirements and cyber certification.
* Have network and integration experience.
* Hardware and Software design, development and integration experience for sensor management systems.
* Experience as a project or subsystem lead engineer is preferred
* Previous work in leading a team of 3-5 engineers from diverse expertise fields is preferred
* Experience in sensor management in an IP-based network
* Background in flight airworthiness certification
* Excellent leadership skills, be a self-starter, pay close attention to details, and the ability to work effectively in a diverse technical team-based environment.
About Northrop Grumman
Northrop Grumman is a provider of autonomous systems, strike, logistics, C4ISR and cyber solutions for government and commercial customers.