Looking for a job where a passion for innovation, a culture of teamwork, and opportunities for growth are valued and rewarded? You've come to the right place.
You don't have to be an airline aficionado to join American Airlines. It takes more than cool planes to keep us ahead of the curve, and thanks to our team of behind the scenes professionals, we do just that. As the largest airline in the world, American Airlines is in the business of serving the global travel needs of our customers. At the core of the Company is our commitment to each customer and each employee. We are dedicated to developing and delivering what our customers value and are willing to pay for. Customer-centric planning, innovative marketing, and an exceptional customer experience are supported by a cadre of talented people.
What does it take to join us? We're glad you asked! We expect exceptional skills in your discipline and a dedication to being the best as we relentlessly pursue our goal of being not just the largest airline in the world, but also the best airline in the world.
Fortunately, we're building on almost a century of innovation and firsts in our industry - and we plan to continue that tradition of excellence.
About The Job
The successful candidate will assume a senior technical position in a highly skilled and experienced team providing application, solution and enterprise architecture services to the Airline Operations Technology vertical within American Airlines IT.
The position requires defining technical and architecture strategies, roadmaps, and blueprints for the modernization of the z/TPF FOS system. The position will design and recommend solutions that improve z/TPF application development agility, quality, and delivery. The consulting will include guidance on z/TPF application modernization techniques, integration options, and methods for migrating workloads to cloud and midrange platforms.
The Sr. Principal Application Architect requires technical knowledge and skills that are broad and deep, covering various hardware, software, and technology platforms. The Sr. Principal Application Architect must be comfortable operating in complex heterogeneous technology environments, and have experience with highly integrated and mission critical solutions. The Sr. Principal Application Architect must possess the ability to share and communicate ideas clearly, both orally and in writing, to business sponsors and partners, technical resources, and executives, in clear concise language that is effective for each respective group.
cont. About the Job
* Assess the FOS platform that includes z/TPF codebase, infrastructure, operating system, storage, and network * Evaluate market technology choices to determine best fit solutions for z/TPF FOS modernization * Gain extensive knowledge and familiarity with the FOS codebase that includes multiple programming languages * Recommend design, tooling, testing, and refactoring changes to improve z/TPF application development agility * Utilize z/TPF application modernization techniques to improve FOS codebase and platform * Construct z/TPF FOS DevOps pipeline with the goal of improving Lead Time * Assess FOS application development processes and recommend improvements * Automate z/TPF FOS unit and regression tests * Architect solutions for migration of z/TPF FOS applications to cloud
cont. About the Job
* Develop technical and business roadmaps for the portfolio of FOS applications that aligns with modernization goals * Design batch and real-time integration solutions across FOS, cloud, and midrange * Detail FOS Disaster Recovery architecture solutions and plans * Adapt to a quickly changing environment and interact with a broad customer base with diverse needs and functional responsibilities. * Play a key role in working with other architects to define current and future needs. * Develop a deep understanding of the applications and business processes and proactively advise on opportunities for business process redesign, or application or process consolidation and/or simplification. * Be a mentor to the other architects on the team: provide advice, guidance, and feedback; share experience and expertise as appropriate; act as a sounding board for ideas. * Review other architects' solutions and ensure their application architecture strategy aligns with organizational goals.
cont. About the Job
* Assist in a continual evolution of the Solution Architecture team's processes and metrics to make the team more efficient, and increase the value add to the organizations supported. * Provide guidance to the rest of the team regarding architecture solutions, technology decisions… * Consults on new projects and business requirements to come up with initial problem scoping and sizing. * Create and evaluate solution and integration architectures for technical viability, alignment with product requirements and compliance with AA IT standards * Involved with projects throughout their entire lifecycle with active participation in requirements analysis, proofs of concepts, RFI & RFP processes and solution delivery * Presents and communicates the domain and project technical vision and architecture to various stakeholders including executives, business sponsors delivery managers and teams and other technical staff.
* Must possess a bachelor's degree in Computer Science/Engineering or related discipline; advanced degree is preferred * Requires 10+ years of experience with the z/TPF platform * Extensive experience developing z/TPF functionality using SabreTalk, z/TPF assembler language, C, and Java * Requires mastery of z/TPF application modernization with 5+ years' experience applying modernization techniques including but not limited to MongoDB z/TPF interfaces, z/TPF Data Events, Apache tomcat on z/TPF, and JAM * Must have experience with z/TPF DevOps and test automation
* Extensive experience with the TPF and mainframe ecosystem spanning z/OS, z/TPF, and z/Linux * Deep understanding of mainframe and modern integration technologies that include NOFEP, JCSAPI, FTP, Service Oriented Architecture (SOA), Message Queuing, topics, Kafka, and MQ * Must have significant experience migrating programs from z/TPF to other platforms including cloud and midrange systems * Requires 10+ years of application development experience