Sr. Middleware Engineer - DataPower - INF001289
Join U.S. Cellular's IS Middleware Services team and accept the challenge to grow, contribute and impact the customer experience for millions of mobile customers across the US. Help our team design, develop, and maintain cutting edge of Middleware technologies as we provide solutions to today's demanding business needs.
Our team develops, manages, and supports business critical service integrations, big data solutions, data search tools, and container platforms utilizing the latest technologies including IBM DataPower, Oracle Fusion Middleware, Oracle WebCenter, Cloudera Hadoop, RedHat OpenShift, Micro Focus IDOL, and more!
Leverage your technical and soft skills to impact the broader team and organization in a positive manner through teaching and providing innovative solutions. Be recognized and rewarded for your contributions as you deliver and support a key element of the IS infrastructure here at US Cellular.
We are steps away from the Cumberland-Blue Line CTA Station in a recently remodeled corporate campus with covered parking and outdoor seating areas, on-site gourmet scratch kitchen and a wide variety of employee benefits, including ongoing education assistance, stock purchase plans, health insurance, retirement plans, and charitable donation matching programs.
Come work for a company and team that is growing and shaping the US wireless industry in a hardworking supportive team atmosphere. Come work for the US Cellular Middleware Services Team today!
Overview of the Role
The Sr. Middleware Engineer - DataPower supports the systems responsible for application delivery within the Infrastructure. This role is responsible for handling requests for new or updated services and applications, as well as troubleshooting and remedying incidents and problems within the Middleware technical domain. The Sr. Middleware Engineer is expected to participate as part of a technical team responsible for the overall support and management of the Middleware domain and be the subject matter expert for this team on issues pertaining to DataPower technology. The Sr. Middleware Engineer will also participate on projects in which they are required to with cross functional teams in pursuit of a common goal and will at times lead these cross functional teams in support of initiatives or issue resolution. As part of the Sr. Middleware Engineer role, this person is expected to create clear documentation usable by other team members and teams. Lastly, as the Subject Matter Expert within the DataPower space on this team, this role will be expected to teach and mentor peers in support of their career growth and/or the overall growth of the team.
Typical Job Duties and Responsibilities within the DataPower space specific to this role include the following:
* Support DataPower and other SOA / Web Service technologies up to and including production environment
* Participate in API design and integration sessions
* Generate reports for the DataPower platform for error, capacity and traffic analysis
* Perform day-to-day maintenance for company owned DataPower appliances
* Provide input and recommendations for architectural improvements
Other Job duties and Responsibilities aligned with the Sr. Middleware Engineer role include the following:
* Install, Configure, troubleshoot and deploy applications in an enterprise middleware (WebLogic, WebSphere, JBoss, Tomcat, Node.js, etc.) environment.
* Lead cross functional teams in support of initiatives and enterprise level projects. A Sr. Middleware Engineer is expected to be able to plan for and lead other technical engineers in the delivery of an enterprise solution. Understand how other technologies (network, security and databases) impact and contribute to an overall enterprise level solution.
* Partner with Engineers, Administrators, Architects, Developers and Project Managers to plan and implement applications.
* Create and document detailed technical designs for use within delivery of projects.
* Utilize best practices and provide recommendations to improve application and system performance.
* Define, track and maintain system configuration documents and standards.
* Responsible for providing 24/7 on-call coverage on a rotating basis.
For this particular position we are seeking individuals with IBM WebSphere DataPower engineer/developer level experience. Ideal candidates will have the following skills/abilities:
Expectations for the Sr. Middleware Engineer - DataPower role:
* 4+ years of experience supporting current IBM DataPower appliance technologies
* Able to design and build REST/SOAP Web Service API's
* Able to create request transformation policies and scripts within DataPower environments
* Able to perform capacity analysis and growth projections
* Strong troubleshooting and diagnostics skills
Required Elements for the Sr. Middleware Engineer role:
* Bachelor's degree in the Computer Science, Information Services, Mathematics, Engineering or related field or its equivalent in terms of experience is required.
* 6+ years of experience working with Java application delivery systems (WebLogic, JBOSS, Tomcat, and/or WebSphere.) is required.
* 6+ years of experience supporting web based delivery systems (Apache and/or IIS) is required.
* 2+ years of experience designing and supporting Web Services Standards and Technologies (XML, SOAP, WSDL, XSD, DDI, REST, etc.)
* Effective communication skills required both laterally and up to influence decisions and actions.
Additional Experience that would be "Nice to Have" to be effective in this role:
* Experience designing infrastructure and supporting applications in a Service Oriented Architecture (SOA) environment.
* The ability to understand and construct firewall rules that securely enable the delivery of applications.
* Experience developing and implementing Role-Based Security Models for middleware environments including integration with enterprise Identity Management services (LDAP) providers.
* Experience designing and supporting Cloudera Hadoop Ecosystem (or similar Big Data Infrastructure).
* Experience working with key office automation tools such as Visio, PowerPoint and Word.
* Experience utilizing application monitoring tools such as APM, App Dynamics, and OEM.
Job : Information Technology
Location(s) : Illinois-CHICAGO_IL
U.S. Cellular® is an EEO employer and gives consideration to qualified applicants without regard to race/color/age/religion/sex/sexual orientation/gender identity/national origin/disability/veteran status, pregnancy or genetic information.
About U.S. Cellular
At U.S. Cellular, we're not just in the business of connecting calls, we're in the business of connecting people.