The variety of digital content and digital services that Amazon sells and fulfills daily to millions of customers on both Amazon and non-Amazon devices is growing fast and evolving rapidly. Kindle books, Kindle Unlimited subscriptions, Prime, Amazon Video, Music, Audible books, Apps, In-app purchases, Echo services are some key products that our customers have come to love. This customer demand continually challenges us to rethink how we might offer and deliver content, to a wide range of devices, in ways that are only limited by our imagination and the imagination of those who want to serve customers on our platform. To meet these needs, we are looking for a senior technical leader who can build an engineering organization that will deliver the next generation digital transactional engine at Amazon.
Challenges in this role
The overall challenge of this role is creating a dynamically configurable purchase and instantaneous fulfillment platform that can scale both in terms of features and volume while maintaining extremely high availability. As a Sr Manager in Digital Commerce, you will be leading an organization of multiple dev teams that are building an extremely flexible and scalable platform that provides core capabilities used by several rapidly evolving business lines. You will also lead the development of a self-service architecture and tool set that ensures Amazon businesses are never blocked by the engine. As part of this role, the problems you will get to solve include: How do you create order processing, payment, fulfillment and renewal services that can handle billions of transactions per year (with some crazy peaks), while meeting Amazon's expectations of an extremely low latency customer experience? How to design the next generation on-device SDK for making payments smooth and easy? How to design software to be flexible to support various models for fraud detection, credit risk prediction, and cost of payments, while supporting international expansion and new payment methods? How do you build and scale workflow infrastructure that can process billions of transactions per year while meeting business, regulatory and customer commitments?
Who are we looking for?
We are looking for a senior tech leader who can solve business problems at scale using technology. A visionary leader, builder and operator who can hire and grow people, build teams and deliver an amazing customer experience for millions of customers worldwide. Someone who can take complex business problems and solve them with simple and innovative solutions that can scale for Amazon volume. You'll have experience leading or contributing to multiple simultaneous product development efforts. You'll be able to balance technical leadership and savvy with strong business judgment to make the right decisions about technology choices. If this is you, read on - we want to talk to you.
As a Sr software development manager you will be responsible for:
1. Creating a culture of technical and business excellence, strong ownership, innovation and delivery.
2. Establishing strong engineering, quality and operational standards, and inspiring the organization to continuously learn and improve in all aspects
3. Leading multiple teams of software engineers, testers, people managers and project managers in the design, development, test, deployment and operation of tier-1 services at Amazon
4. Own short to long term planning, product and program definition, construction and E2E delivery.
5. Knowing when to delegate and when to dive deep. Do periodic reviews of architecture, code quality, test coverage, project planning and execution, and operations to drive excellence through your organization.
6. Decompose complex problems into simple, straight-forward solutions that demonstrate significant creativity and high judgment. Teach others to do the same.
7. Hire and grow world class technical and managerial talent - Find and foster the future leaders at Amazon
8. Work closely with other Amazon organizations to deliver features that grow the business while improving the platform and driving down costs.
9. Represent business and technical metrics to executive leadership on a weekly basis.
10. Build relationships and work effectively with business and engineering teams across multiple geographies.
Amazon is a company operating a marketplace for consumers, sellers, and content creators.