What you do at AMD changes everything
At AMD, we push the boundaries of what is possible. We believe in changing the world for the better by driving innovation in high-performance computing, graphics, and visualization technologies - building blocks for gaming, immersive platforms, and the data center.
Developing great technology takes more than talent: it takes amazing people who understand collaboration, respect, and who will go the "extra mile" to achieve unthinkable results. It takes people who have the passion and desire to disrupt the status quo, push boundaries, deliver innovation, and change the world. If you have this type of passion, we invite you to take a look at the opportunities available to come join our team.
The Senior Manager of Customer Field Support will be the lead technical interface for AMD's commercial products with commercial end customers. As a Manager, the role will be responsible for managing AMD Solutions Architects, who will specialize in technical support for one of AMD's commercial products, including commercial client, server, and workstation. In this position, the individual will also help AMD drive a new era of commercial computing by engaging with large North America end customers (not including Global to demonstrate how AMD technology can be used to address the needs of their business. The role will oversee technical support for AMD's commercial pipeline with a special focus on pre-sales and development support activity as opportunities transition from opportunity to deployment. Building confidence with key customer influencers, and overcoming technical objections will be critical for success in the role. Post-sales technical support is also required as the account encounters technical issues. As the North America leader, the role will be expected to manage technical escalations that may occur, facilitate efficient processes to address, align with AMD's OEM partner support teams, and accelerate resolutions. This candidate will be accountable to the Global leader for the Customer Field Support organization, as well as the North America commercial sales leader. The leader must have an extremely strong technical knowledge base and skill-set, but be equally effective in communication with both customers and internal AMD stakeholders. Must be proficient in managing, optimizing, and troubleshooting common server, client, and workstation applications and workloads on AMD hardware with priority end customers.
The primary focus of the Solutions Architect will be to:
* Manage and develop North America Solutions Architects as individuals, and as a team
* Develop technical relationships with target end customer accounts and OEM partners
* Win new commercial client, server and workstation opportunities by working with OEMs and end customers by establishing technical solutions based on AMD technology
* Work with AMD internal teams across AMD Business Units to build technical presentations and documentation to be delivered in the field
* Be voice of the customer, improving AMD's ability to support customers by driving feedback into AMD BU and engineering teams
* For priority pipeline opportunities, work directly with end-customers to optimize workloads and applications on AMD-based commercial solutions
* Deliver technical presentations and sales pitches to influence new AMD sales with customers and partners.
* Align with Global Customer Field Support Leader and North America Sales leader on top pipeline opportunities and sales priorities, to effectively manage the priorities and bandwidth of Solutions Architects on the team
This position will require a broad technical understanding of client and server CPUs/APUs and workstation GPUs, platform architecture and the development process needed to successfully win client, server and workstation opportunities with end customers. The position may require specialized knowledge of microprocessor architectures, commercial ecosystem environments including Operating systems (Windows, Linux), compilers, drivers, benchmarks, and targeted applications that may be used to validate client, server and workstation platforms for the following target markets:
* Cloud and datacenter computing
* Data management and analytics (Spark, Oracle, SAP)
* High Performance Computing (HPL, SPEC, STREAM, OpenMP/MPI)
* Software Defined Storage (IOMeter, IOZone, HDFS, CEPH)
* Virtualized Desktop Interface (VDI)
* Computer Aided Design (CAD)
* Oil & Gas
* Media & Entertainment
* Machine Learning and Machine Intelligence
The Sr. Manager of North America Customer Field Support in this role will:
* Provide technical assistance to North America solutions architects, sales personnel and the end customer in the evaluation, design and development of AMD based client, server and workstation solutions
* Manage individuals in North America solutions architects team to grow and develop their career path through coaching, training, and motivating. Will assign and evaluate individual goals and performance, and conduct annual performance reviews.
* Develop Solutions Architect team in business and technical acumen, enabling HDS to gain further "mindshare" within the customer base.
* Manage resources appropriately against a documented resource plan
* Ensure that we have the right skills and experience to sell the solutions that we can bring to market.
* Technically qualify, prioritize and assign resources to sales opportunities
* Partner with sales in determining possible application of AMD based products and solutions to meet customer requirements
* Perform technical presentations, training and updates for OEM, partners and prospects
* Translate customer business issues and requirements into technical solution opportunities/engagements that best leverage AMD based product offerings
* Possess a solid understanding of the competitive landscape and clearly articulate the technical differentiation and value proposition associated with AMD versus its competitors
* Assist with the solution development/architectural design to meet specific customer needs
* Analyze OEM product solutions and evaluate product performance based on customer needs
* Keep up-to-date on relevant competitive solutions and work with internal teams to provide competitive responses where needed
* Articulate AMD based technology offerings across multiple verticals
* Partner with other AMD and vendor subject matter experts to build specific customer solutions
* Install and test solutions in-house, as required, to ensure successful deployments and evaluations
* Provide hands-on, expert-level technical assistance to end customer development and software teams
* Design and manage the execution of evaluation plans to ensure a quality solution is delivered
* Be a credible subject matter expert to end customer on direct and indirect product capabilities.
* Other related duties as assigned
* The preferred candidate should have a combination of relevant academic and professional experience. The minimum qualifications associated with this position are BS with 15+ years of experience, or advanced degree with 12+ years of experience. Degree should be technology related bachelor's degree or other technical discipline (e.g. Engineering or Computer Science) or equivalent combination of training and experience. Requires knowledge in one or more of the following areas: CPU and server system architecture, server benchmarks, GPU computing, and server platform enablement. At least 5 years of system architecture and/or platform development experience
* Must demonstrate excellent problem solving skills and the ability to manage complex problems involving multi-disciplined, cross-functional teams
* Must have strong experience in leading IT/Technology sales engineers
* High energy, results driven mentality with strong people/leadership skills.
* Must demonstrate firm understanding of platform development process from concept to production
* Must be well versed in server software ecosystem in one or more areas including OS/Hypervisors, Compilers, Libraries, debug tools, development tools, workstation SW applications, and validation workloads
* Good hands on and working knowledge of server hardware ecosystem at the node, rack and datacenter level
* Hands on experience in the setup and configuration of server systems including software, networking and storage infrastructure
* Experience with virtualization technology and one or more hypervisor solutions
* Strong knowledge of Linux and Windows based server operating systems is required
* This position requires an individual with excellent organizational and communication skills with a good balance of hardware, architecture and software expertise. Must be a team player with excellent collaborative skills and superior written and oral communication skills
Requisition Number: 73197
Country: United States State: Texas City: Austin
Job Function: Field Application Engineering/ Field Support (S&M)
AMD does not accept unsolicited resumes from headhunters, recruitment agencies or fee based recruitment services. AMD and its subsidiaries are equal opportunity employers. We consider candidates regardless of age, ancestry, color, marital status, medical condition, mental or physical disability, national origin, race, religion, political and/or third party affiliation, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, military or veteran status. Please click here for more information.
Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) is a semiconductor company that designs and develops graphics, processors, and media solutions for commercial and consumer markets.