The Madison Square Garden Company
The Madison Square Garden Company (MSG) is a world leader in live sports and entertainment experiences. The company presents or hosts a broad array of premier events in its diverse collection of iconic venues: New York's Madison Square Garden, Hulu Theater at Madison Square Garden, Radio City Music Hall and Beacon Theatre; the Forum in Inglewood, CA; and The Chicago Theatre. Other MSG properties include legendary sports franchises: the New York Knicks (NBA) and the New York Rangers (NHL); two development league teams - the Westchester Knicks (NBAGL) and the Hartford Wolf Pack (AHL); and esports teams through Counter Logic Gaming, a leading North American esports organization, and Knicks Gaming, MSG's NBA 2K League franchise. In addition, the Company features the popular original production - the Christmas Spectacular Starring the Radio City Rockettes - and through Boston Calling Events, produces New England's preeminent Boston Calling Music Festival. Also under the MSG umbrella is TAO Group, a world-class hospitality group with globally-recognized entertainment dining and nightlife brands: Tao, Marquee, Lavo, Avenue, Beauty & Essex and Vandal. More information is available at www.themadisonsquaregardencompany.com
Role SummaryThe MSG Ventures Interactive group was formed to take on one of the most exciting projects in digital games and interactive multimedia today: inventing a new category of mass participation, location-based game that will debut at the MSG Sphere currently under construction in Las Vegas. We are building an all-star team of AAA, indie, and experimental games veterans to help find solutions to cutting edge technical, artistic, and game design challenges in a collaborative startup-within-a-stable-corporation atmosphere. Sr./Lead Engineers in the MSG Ventures Concept Group are expert game coders responsible for architecting and developing both client and server code (gameplay, graphics, tools, networking, etc.) for all projects undertaken by the Group, including both rapid-iteration tests and polished software releases. Specific Functions/Activities Summary
Design and implement (under the supervision of the Director of Engineering) core gameplay, graphics and multiplayer systems for MSG Ventures Concept Group's rapid-iteration test and polished software releases.
* Establish and document technical designs and decisions and provide direction on internally- and externally-sourced technologies and systems used by MSG Ventures Interactive teams.
* Analyze and translate technical and design needs into discrete, manageable engineering tasks for yourself and other engineers.
* Share concepts, techniques and processes with team members, teaching (and learning) when necessary.
* Attend and report in daily scrums and bi-weekly sprint planning sessions, reviews, and retrospectives in accordance with Agile best practices.
Interactive Application Development (80%) The Sr./Lead Engineer's primary responsibility shall be to develop test and polished release software for MSG Ventures Concept Group's target platforms. Such development will begin as rapidly iterated proof of concepts and test applications which will mature into polished software over the first year of active development.
Further responsibilities include the development (in collaboration with the Concept Group Director of Engineering) of unique solutions for complex engineering issues, working within an Agile software development framework to assure timely review of all code, the prompt implementation of revisions wherever necessary, and swift deliveries of fully-functional milestone builds to the game design, art, project management and MSG/MSG Ventures executive teams on a dependable, forecastable schedule.
Technical Leadership (20%)
The Sr./Lead Engineer shall utilize their deep expertise in the Unity engine and experience in games software development to support the Director of Engineering in the management of the Concept Group's engineering team, particularly with respect to technical best practices and solutions to complex engineering challenges. As the Engineering team matures, the Sr./Lead Engineer is expected to assume increasing responsibility over code quality, mentorship of new and experienced team members, partner and outsourcing groups, and the maintenance of relationships and communications with internal MSG Ventures stakeholders.
* Computer Science BS/MS preferred or equivalent experience
* 7+ years professional game engineering experience required, with 4+ in a Unity environment
* Excellent communications and team relations skills
* Experience working in/leading Agile teams and familiarity with Agile methodology preferred
* Expertise in C#/C++ and the Unity game engine required, with additional Unreal Engine and iOS/Android development experience highly preferred.
* Experience with common games industry production software (MS Office, JIRA, Trello) a plus.
* Interest and/or secondary skills in another key game development discipline (Game Design, Product Management, Art, Audio) a plus
* Code samples will be required as part of the application process
EducationCandidates who have completed 60 credits of college-level coursework (representing 2 years), or have shown similar self-development through certifications, trade school coursework, etc. are preferred. Educational requirements may differ from job to job based on the role. EEO StatementAt MSG we value diversity and are looking for extraordinary employees of all backgrounds! MSG is an Equal Opportunity Employer and provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, sexual and reproductive health choices, national origin, citizenship, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. In addition to federal law requirements, MSG complies with all applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in all locations.
About The Madison Square Garden Company
The Madison Square Garden Company is a live sports and entertainment provider.